PrimoCache Change Log
The following is a summary of the changes made to PrimoCache. The changes are listed with the most recent first.
- Fix: Incompatible issue with some network adapters in Windows 10 build 14393, resulting in BSOD at bootup or network failure.
- Fix bug: The GUI program looks bad in high-resolution screens. This issue exists in the version 2.6.0 only.
- Fix bug: Still populates data to level-2 cache storage when the cache strategy is "write-data only".
- Optimize: Remove the success message when creating a cache task to reduce operation steps.
- Fix bug: Incompatible issue with Windows 10 EFS.
- Fix bug: Incompatible issue with UWF in Windows 10 build 14393.
- Fix bug: Incompatible issue with Apps from Windows 10 store.
- Optimize: Increase compatibility with Windows 10 build 14393.
- Change: In Windows 10, if source disk data are encrypted by EFS, Bitlocker, etc, this version stores encrypted data into cache, instead of decrypted data, in order to increase security.
- Enable caching paging files. This helps improve the performance on 32bit Windows with Invisible Memory enabled.
- Fix bug: Potential blue screen crash (Memory Management BSOD) on Windows 10.
- Improve the compatibility with Norton Ghost and other third-party programs.
- Fix bug: When caching media-removable devices like SD cards, blue screen crash may happen if devices are removed and then inserted in.
- Level-2 Cache:
- Support to format partitions on dynamic disks as level-2 storage volumes.
- Fix bug: Failed to format GPT partitions to level-2 storage volumes on some computers.
- Fix bug: Potential blue screen crash while formatting GPT partitions to level-2 storage volumes.
- Fix bug: Potential blue screen crash when a USB level-2 storage device is removed a short while after computer reboot and then plugged-in.
- Fix bug: If a USB level-2 storage device is used and the computer sleeps or hibernates a short while after reboot, blue screen crash may happen on wake-up.
- Fix bug: A SD card level-2 storage volume may not be recognized after computer reboot.
- Fix bug: Cache contents may be reset when using a SD card level-2 storage volume.
- CLI Application:
- Fix bug: Commands cannot correctly output Non-English characters.
- Fix bug: Command 'ls' cannot display the capacity of unrecognized volumes.
- GUI Application:
- Add option: Allow to remember the position of the main GUI window.
- Optimize: Increase the display duration of tooltips from 5 seconds to 30 seconds.
- Correct typos.
- Fix bug: Possible blue screen crash with Norton Ghost and some third-party programs.
- Fix bug: Defer-Write option "Flush on Sleep" does not work on few computers.
- Fix bug: Unexpected errors while resuming from the hibernation state on few computers when the invisible memory is used.
- Fix bug: Insufficient memory error when reconfiguring a cache task even though there is enough memory.
- Add option: Do not preserve level-2 cache contents when the system is rebooted.
- Add option: Do not clear level-2 cache contents even if they might be out of sync with source data.
- Add option: Allow to cache all kind of volumes, including proprietary and unrecognized volumes.
- Optimize: Show the capacity of volumes that have not a recognized file system.
- Optimize: Remember the main dialog size and list columns' width.
- Fix bug: Program becomes unregistered or expired after Windows is upgraded to 8 or later.
- Fix bug: Cache statistics is not reset on Windows fast startup in Windows 8 or later.
- Level-1 Cache:
- Clear level-1 cache (MM) contents on Windows fast shutdown in Windows 8 or later to not affect the shutdown/boot time.
- Add option to keep level-1 cache (MM) content on Windows fast shutdown.
- Add option to clear level-1 cache (MM) contents on hybrid-sleep or hibernation to not affect the hibernation/resume time.
- Optimize: prevent prefetch index information from being updated on Windows restarts in very short time.
- GUI Application:
- Fix bug: GDI objects leak.
- Fix bug: Inappropriate drop-down value list for setting VM/IM cache size when editing the cache configuration in certain cases.
- Fix bug: The setting box of IM cache size is greyed and cannot be changed in certain cases when editing the cache configuration.
- Optimize: do not quit the dialog if the configuration is not appropriate when editing the cache configuration.
- Embellish the cache configuration dialog.
- Level-2 Cache:
- Support to format GPT partitions as level-2 storage volumes.
- CLI Application:
- Add new commands: storage/edit/clear/status/perf/export/import/lic.
- Support to import the cache configuration from a configuration file by the option '-t' for the command 'new'.
- Support to operate all cache tasks at a time by the option '-a' for the command del/pause/resume/dwpause/dwresume/dwflush/clear.
- GUI Application:
- Activate the already running application instead of showing an error message when a user tries to open a new instance.
- Automatically switch to the new selected language for the multilingual version.
- Add options: Allow to disable warning and success messages when operating cache tasks.
- Fix bug: It may take too much time to checking the new version and users have to wait when they open the application.
- Fix bug: The application does not minimize to the system tray at Windows startup when the option "Launch with Windows startup" is ticked.
- Fix bug: The display state of the system tray icon may not be correct in Windows XP.
- Amend some message/help texts and correct typos.
- Level-1 Cache:
- Support to prefetch the last cache content on Windows startup.
- Support hibernation when both Invisible Memory and Level-2 cache are enabled.
- Fix bug: Windows crashes when changes level-1 cache size for an empty cache task.
- Fix bug: Cannot change invisible memory size if all invisible memory is used.
- Level-2 Cache:
- Remove the dependency of Windows Performance Counter which may corrupt on few computers.
- Speed up gathering cache data into level-2 storage.
- Add option: Tune gathering speed when Windows is busy.
- Automatically disable the level-2 cache function on volumes which have same underlying disk as level-2 storage.
- Support maximum level-2 cache size from 1.5TB to 2TB (2044GB).
- Fix bug: Incorrect error message when level-2 cache size is larger than 1.5TB.
- Fix bug: Windows may suspend on entering standby/sleep or hibernation with level-2 cache enabled.
- Fix bug: Level-2 cache may stop gathering cache data after Windows resumes from the hibernation.
- Fix bug: Level-2 cache content does not persist across Windows restarts when level-2 cache overhead is big.
- Fix bug: A possible race condition which may cause data error when loading the persistent level-2 cache content.
- Fix bug: A volume was previously cached still loads level-2 cache content which may have been outdated when this volume joined the cache task again.
- Fix bug: Cache tasks may load outdated level-2 cache content if a level-2 storage volume which was plugged-out is plugged-in.
- Fix bug: Level-2 cache may not function if there were devices plugged in-and-out.
- Fix bug: Windows may crash if a cache task waiting for a level-2 storage volume is deleted and then another level-2 storage volume for another cache task plugs in.
- Defer-Write Feature:
- Add write modes: Native/Intelligent/Idle-flush/Buffer/Average.
- Add option: Flush deferred data on Windows standby/sleep.
- Add option: Release cache blocks holding deferred data when these data are written to disk.
- Add option: Do not flush deferred data on Windows shutdown (through CLI only).
- Automatically disable Defer-Write feature if level-1 cache not specified.
- Fix bug: C1 value in some hard disks increases fast with Defer-Write enabled.
- Fix bug: Windows may suspend on entering hibernation with Defer-Write enabled.
- Fix bug: Theoretically, Windows may suspend when flushing deferred write-data .
- GUI Application:
- Add function: System tray icon.
- Add function: Operate all cache tasks by one click (through tray icon).
- Add option: Tune the update time interval of performance statistics.
- Add option: Automatically launch GUI application at Windows startup.
- Add option: Minimize to system tray on the close of GUI application.
- Optimize displays of performance statistics data.
- Fix bug: Tip text may be not correctly updated when showing hidden part of performance statistics data.
- Remove PrimoCache service.
- Fix bug: Usb/external devices are not cached after computer restarts in Windows XP/2003.
- Fix bug: Unexpected errors may happen on resuming from sleep/hibernation/shutdown(fast startup) if using USB devices as L2 storage.
- Fix bug: Remove the noisy message "You need to format this disk..." each time USB L2 devices connect to computers on Windows Vista/7/8. (Note: this bug fix only applies for new L2 storage. For existing USB L2 storage, you need to re-format it to L2 storage.)
- Fix bug: Extremely low probability crash when cache is working.
- Fix bug: Unexpected errors such as crash when L2 cache is enabled, especially with Defer-Write enabled.
- Fix bug: Cache strategy may not apply immediately when users changes cache strategy.
v0.9.9 beta (2014-01-28)
- Fix bug: Computers may fail to boot up on Windows prior to Windows 7.
- Fix bug: GUI program may crash on reconfiguration of a cache task.
- Fix bug: GUI program may crash on creating a new cache task.
- Fix bug: Changes may not apply if changing the configuration of a newly created cache task.
- Fix bug: PrimoCache service may not function properly on Windows which is configured to not allow interactive services.
- Fix bug: On 32-bit Windows, cache task disappears when removing cache on the last volume.
- Fix bug: "Format L2" dialog instead of "Manage L2" dialog pops up, even though there is already a level-2 storage volume in the system, when users click "manage L2" button in the configuration page.
- Tune the level-2 cache algorithm. Changing the default value of minimum frequency at which blocks are allowed to be cached into level-2 storage. In version 0.9.8 this value is 3, now is 1.
- Support to set the minimum frequency at which blocks are allowed to be cached into level-2 storage (CLI only, option -f).
v0.9.8 beta (2014-01-20)
- Completely change and improve the level-2 cache algorithm. PrimoCache keeps frequency of use data, and when system is idle, it stores high frequently used data to the level-2 storage.
- Improve the cache algorithm to make better system response.
- Add function: Command-line interface (CLI).
- Add function: View/Edit the cache configuration.
- Add function: Export/Import the cache configuration.
- Add function: Automatically save & load the last configuration which is used to successfully create a cache task.
- Add function: Add/Remove a volume to/from an existing cache.
- Add function: Indiviually manage (pause/resume/flush...) a volume's cache state within a cache task.
- Add function: Reset/Clear the cache content.
- Add function: Reset the cache performance statistics.
- Add function: Copy cache performance statistics to clipboard.
- Support a cache configuration with level-2 cache only (level-1 cache size equals 0).
- Add the option "MAX" for the level-2 cache size. With this option, maximum available level-2 storage space will be used for the level-2 cache.
- Add the option "INFINITE" for the Defer-Write latency. With this option, PrimoCache don't sync deferred write-data to disk until the cache is full.
- Improve the graphical user interface (GUI).
- Fix bug: On Windows prior to Vista, level-2 storage cannot be recognized after computer reboots.
- Fix bug: Possible hang while flush/stop the defer-write.
- Fix bug: Blue screen happened when trying to remove a usb level-2 storage device if this usb is being used by a cache task.
- Fix bug: Failed to format raw partitions to level-2 storage on windows server systems.
- Fix bug: Possible blue screen error when level-2 cache is enabled.
v0.9.2 beta (2013-10-28)
- Fix bug: System may crash when level-2 cache is enabled.
v0.9.1 beta (2013-07-26)
- The first release of PrimoCache. PrimoCache is derived from FancyCache, but it is completely redesigned and much different from FancyCache.
v0.1.0 beta (2010-05-04) - v0.8.0 beta (2012-04-19)
- Releases of FancyCache which is the predecessor of PrimoCache.