Location of Image File Different File Systems

FAQ, getting help, user experience about VSuite Ramdisk
Stubi
Level 5
Level 5

Location of Image File Different File Systems

Post by Stubi »

I have tested the software with XP 32 what is on a FAT32 disk. Is there any way to move the image file to a NTFS partition (there are my data)? The software tells me not since the file systems are not the same. Why does it care about this? Just hast to read and write data - or is it not so easy?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Location of Image File Different File Systems

Post by Support »

Yes, it requires the same file system as that of boot drive. Otherwise it may fail to load image file.
Stubi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Stubi »

Why does it care about the file system? It just has to read/write data or do I see this wrong? Not so good if you use multiboot with different OS and want to use the same ramdisk image file because you need the same data.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

This is because file system might not ready to read the file when we boot up the ramdisk.
Stubi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Stubi »

Never had problems with this FAT32 & NTFS mixture with other ramdisks. Same what happens when the OS is on FAT32 like the image file and the ramdisks itself is NTFS - before it can load the image file data it needs to have NTFS already. Your software can handle THIS. But of course I do not know the bits and bytes of the coding and for sure you know better while it cannot read the image file if it is not on the same file system as the OS. I just was wondering why it cares so much about the data file if the ramdisk can be any format anyway.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

We can defer to boot ramdisk to solve your problem, but it introduces other issues in some use cases. So we requires the same file system.
Anyway if later we can find a perfect way to solve the issue, of course we'd like to correct it.