What's wrong with my setup ? Can you help?

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
megan
Level 1
Level 1

What's wrong with my setup ? Can you help?

Post by megan »

Hi
I have some massive data to transfer from one external drive to another.

Some of these video files are 30-40gb big.My usual transfer rate is 70-80mbs .
Working with Windows 10, 32gb RAM with AMD Ryzen.

Installed Primocache; L1 -20gb RAM L2 - 200gb in SSD for caching.

My rate initially increased to 170mbs which was encouraging but not the 10 times increase some people seem to get.
But my problems are these :
1. After an initial increase it falls to 110mbs and then fluctuates between 10-70mbs.
2.Many times it falls down to zero, pauses for some seconds and then rises again to 30-40mbs.
3.After half an hour many times it just freezes - not sure if it's due to the drive.

I've enclosed the primo dashboard and wonder if someone who understands this can guide me to anything that I might be doing wrong.
Many Thanks.Megan

Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: What's wrong with my setup ? Can you help?

Post by Support »

megan wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:13 am I have some massive data to transfer from one external drive to another.
First, the whole speed is decided by source drive's read speed and target drive's write speed. PrimoCache cannot improve the source drive's read speed if files are first read. When you transfer massive data from one drive to another, usually these data are first read. So the transfer speed is throttled by the source drive's read speed.

I guess the drive E is the target drive for the data transfer, right? If source drive speed is much faster than target drive speed, you can tune the defer-write latency to a smaller value like 2s. Besides, block size 512KB seems too big for you. You can try 32KB or 64KB.