Cache recommendation for random and sequential mismatch.

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
Jazdude
Level 1
Level 1

Cache recommendation for random and sequential mismatch.

Post by Jazdude »

Hello!

I am in the process of building a new computer that will be used primarily for visual arts production ( things like Photoshop, Capture One, Blender, etc ) and gaming. This will be my daily machine so it will also be used for general computing as well.

The computer will have a 1 TB Optane 905p and a 4TB Samsung 990 pro in it. I am considering using PrimoCache to improve performance of the system, but I am a bit confused on if or how I would get a performance improvement. The Optane drive has better random performance than the 990, but the 990 has better sequential performance than the Optane drive.

In a circumstance like this where both drives are better than each other in certain tasks, would it make since to limit the cache size? My concern is that if I use a large cache from the Optane drive ( say something like a 500 gb partition ) to cache on the 990 then Primocache might be prone to caching just about everything run on the 990 even though there might be files or programs that would actually run faster from the 990 directly because of its better sequential performance. Would I be better served making the cache smaller in the hopes that only smaller, more frequently accessed files end up in the cache ( only using something like a 50 GB partition of the Optane drive to cache the 990)?

Or would I be better served not caching at all and just putting my OS and productivity apps on the Optane drive and all the games on the 990?

If there is a configuration I haven't brought up that would be best, please mention it. Are there settings in Primocache that would account for this kind of situation?

Thank you for any info, ideas, or help you offer.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Cache recommendation for random and sequential mismatch.

Post by Support »

So far PrimoCache cannot support to cache random or small files only. It caches all files. So I think it's not good to use one SSD to cache another SSD. You can use RAM as cache for these SSDs if your RAM is sufficient.