High IOPs vs low IOPS SSDs

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
RAMbo
Level 6
Level 6

High IOPs vs low IOPS SSDs

Post by RAMbo »

SSDs come in many speeds.
Usually the max. throughput of huge files is adverttised. While not important the small file read/writes of 4k are often more representative for most users.

If looking at benchmarks cheap SSDs often perform quite ok/similar to expensive SSDs transfering large files.
The expensive SSDs only starts showing their power as smaller transfers come into play.

Is my assumption right that PrimoCache is especially beneficial for those small read/writes and it at least partly closes the gap between the expensive and cheap SSDs because especially to small 4k transfers are reduced?
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: High IOPs vs low IOPS SSDs

Post by Jaga »

For both caching a boot SSD and using one as a L2, yes - Primocache can "trim" writes in the L1 RAM cache, and the delay caused by spinner disks in writing random blocks all over the drive is reduced by the higher IOPS of a SSD. If you are caching a SSD with L1 cache, then drive thrashing (though there's less of that on SSDs) is again reduced by the block trimming of Primocache. To take the best advantage of write trimming, you need to have a UPS on the machine, and have deferred writes turned on.

Some slower SSDs don't have proper firmware/features in them, which is where you start to see abysmally low performance stats. The Inland SSDs (rebranded by Microcenter) are notorious for this - you can get a 1TB SSD for $150, but write speeds aren't as advertised (and are unsustainable) and it is not recommended as a boot drive.

Honestly - if I'm building a system I care about, I always, ALWAYS go with a Samsung Evo or Pro for the boot SSD (or a M.2 if you're going the gaming route). Great speeds, long lifetime, excellent warranty, and reliable. Even the server drive I just picked up to migrate to my new Server OS on is a Samsung.