FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
rashoumond
Level 1
Level 1

Kernel Component Is Not Running!

Post by rashoumond »

Hi,

My PrimoCache is not working, it said,
"Kernel component is not running! If you haven't restarted the computer since installation, you shall restart it."

It will keep it as same after restart.
Is there anyone know why ?
Thanks. :)

Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Kernel Component Is Not Running!

Post by Jaga »

Did your trial period expire? Primocache won't start it's kernel if it's expired, from what I've heard.

If it's a registered copy, did you do an update recently? You could uninstall/reboot/reinstall/reboot to refresh the files.

Beyond that, I think only Support might be able to help.
Babel17
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Babel17 »

The spring update for Windows that just came out gets seen as basically a new OS by Primocache, and it caused me to have to re-add the volumes I want it to cache. But this isn't a new thing, it happens when Microsoft issues a major update to the OS.

My point is that maybe this is related. Did you just get the update? Has it completely installed, and have you restarted your PC?
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

It's pretty normal for Windows to remove the cached drive during a major OS upgrade. I would have a fuss if it deactivated my license. It is possible to add a check, on the final reboot of the upgrade, on which drive was removed and add it back in. This could be done by a task schedule script of some sort.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

Major Windows OS updates normally won't affect Primocache's Kernel. All they do to disrupt the system is re-enumerate the disks, which causes Primocache to remove them from the Cache Task. When that happens, you just have to go back in and re-add them.

Since I started using Primocache (back when it was called Fancycache), I have yet to see a message like this about the Kernel. That's a good number of years, and many many updates.
Fixer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fixer »

What to do now???
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

The cache task should still exist, even if the drive was removed from the list when Windows re-enumerated it. Just open up Primocache and right-click the cache task, then add the disk back to it.
PangOS
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PangOS »

Recently rebuilt my system with an SSD as my drive. System went from boot time of about 27 minutes with my spinner to about 37 seconds with the SSD! Then coupled it with PrimoCache for caching my older drives with my SSD and combination of System RAM.

I had 12 days remaining on my Trial.

After a reboot I get the same message dialog box. Tried reinstalling, tried restoring 1 week old backup image, tried removing a ton of other software such as the Samsung Magician and Intel Drivers and still get the same message. NT BootLog shows the rxfcv.sys driver as loaded but still doesn't work. I can't find a service instance for it(not sure if that's normal).

I was very pleased with the performance gains it provided, but now I am also worried that after purchasing otherwise it will not work.