Tips needed to Create a Cache for PC Gaming

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
RawPower
Level 4
Level 4

Tips needed to Create a Cache for PC Gaming

Post by RawPower »

I am back into PC Gaming with PrimoCache. I really need a list of settings to maintain an Ideal use of this program. I am currently seeing things like 100GB read during long gaming and verifying Games in Steam, but the Cache free space mostly goes back to empty after rebooting. I have created a Read SSD and Read setup. Both do same.
I use a SSD 223GB for Windows 10, a 278GB SSD with 186GB as Level 2 Cache. I have a 2TB SDHD with SSD type prefetch to speed up data. Have another HD with more scenery for Flight sims on E-Sata included in Cache. I have a nVidia 980TI GPU card, 12 GB ram, 980x 6 core CPU.

What would be the best way to use Primo with this setup? I keep thinking to Created it with Read SSD so that all the data cached will be in my SSD Cache on Q drive 186 but I am not clear on this. Should I use Read to Start cache and should I make it 4kb Blocks or 64 with drives at 4? Should I include READ WRITE strategy or read only and gray out these settings?
When I was some months ago, I had a setup in Primo that did not erase all the data on boot up.
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Re: Tips needed to Create a Cache for PC Gaming

Post by InquiringMind »

If possible, use SSD to store your programs/games rather than HDD+PrimoCache L2 (a 278GB SSD should be able to store a dozen games, and you avoid duplicating caching on your SDHD). Then you just need to set up a level 1 (RAM) cache. Use Process Hacker or Process Explorer to find your maximum memory usage (described as "Peak Commit") during gaming, subtract that from your 12GB RAM (and subtract another 1-2GB to give a safety margin) and what's left can be allocated to PrimoCache L1.

I would suggest a larger block size (e.g. 64KB) since that provides greater read/write performance on larger files and means less memory used for indexing. Programs that read/write lots of small files may work better with a smaller size, but most games don't fall into this category.

You may find that 12GB RAM doesn't allow for a huge cache (maybe 4-6GB depending on the games you run and their memory footprint) but extra memory should be a fairly cheap upgrade.
RawPower
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RawPower »

Thank YOU for the data. Every tidbit helps educate me. Since I have a big Collection of games I want primo to cache whatever I am current back into..ie.. Flight Sims, Driving, FPS ... etc.

Any tips for other best normal settings for Primo Cache for a gamer with this setup. Do you think the duplicating cache may be a problem? Should I start with READ ONLY SSD or Read. I assume Read SSD is talking about reading only from my 186 Cache on a separate SSD I have for L2. Or Read Write to create. Also, when it comes to right side choices in config should I chose Read Strategy or Read Write and those settings?
Hoping for ALL on SSD one day. Cost now... ugh!, but since I am a big game collector with near 2 TBs of games on Steam and having to drop my Dual 1TB raptors in Raid 0 for this collection in favor of a SSDHD drive as I had a crash on one of the Raptors, I must use that.
The 278 (actual size drive) for Windows is mostly filled with other programs and Origin Games BF3&4 with 30 GBs left so no room there. I would like to be able to put a mostly used Steam game on it but do not know how this could be done. I do not really want to buy more Ram for this old x-58 MB and it's 980x 6core cpu as it may croak soon... running it into the ground first.
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

Cache duplication cannot be avoided - Windows' own file cache will duplicate PrimoCache L1 and your SSDHD drive will duplicate PrimoCache L2 (one reason to be cautious over using Primo L2).

You may have 2TB of games, but how many do you actually play currently? Most likely you could get along with 10-20 (which should fit on a 200GB SSD) and keep the rest archived on HDD (this will save downloading them again, but Steam's DRM means you always need to keep your account active in order to be able to use them).

As for your system, you should be able to get a few more years' usage out of it (I have an X58 myself with a 6-core Xeon). If you're worried about the CPU overheating, consider a utility like Core Temp (their installer used to contain adware but now seems mostly clean, but you can use the "Other Downloads" option on the main page to get standalone 32/64-bit versions) and use it to review your system's cooling.
okcomputer360
Level 2
Level 2

Post by okcomputer360 »

Thanks for the clarification, i had been using a sata II 60gb ssd for my level 2 cache, now after reading this im going to disable it. my gaming HDD is a sata III 250gb ssd. Samsung 850. I'm going to set block size to 64kb and dedicate 3 or 4gb of ram.