Primocache GUI freezing after removing cache job

Found a bug? Report here
refusetofeel
Level 1
Level 1

Primocache GUI freezing after removing cache job

Post by refusetofeel »

Windows 8.1 (freshly installed 3 days ago)
PrimoCache 9.9 (installed 1 day ago)

These where my settings:
1 120gb SSD ------ Runs my OS, and some other files and programs I do not worry about.
1 500gb HDD ------ Holds my user profile + games (I see no reason to hold my user profile under the SSD since it just data that isn't being constantly used)

SSD ---- 550mb RAM CACHE | 16kb block | Defer Write = 10s | L2 Cache 1GB (Using a partition on same SSD)
HDD --- 1450mb RAM CACHE | 16kb Block | Defer Write = 10s | L2 Cache 1GB (Using another partition on same SSD)

Before I had it on 8.1 I was on Windows 8, and it all seemed to work very well, never had a problem. Granted I wasn't using L2 Cache though. Benchmarks where on high 1,000's for both read and write on SSD and HDD.

After I installed 8.1 I was curious to see the results, if L2 was doing it job and whatnot and to see the speeds. Ran the tests, and benchmarks where pretty much shit. I would get a good write for a second, but it would always drop.

So I wanted to go back and just reset some settings, mess around with it until I had the correct settings.

I went in and deleted the cache job for my HDD. It said it would flush to disc, so I clicked ok. So I waited, and waited, and waited, and I noticed that the program had frozen up and said "not responding". So I did everything I could to just close it out completely, tried task manager, and it just would not close, so I decided to restart.

Restarted, and it just kept saying restarting for a couple hours.

I shut it down manually, turned it on again and I went through a small chkdsk. Once I got back in, everything looked normal, So I went to check my drive and I find out that my HDD got corrupted. I cannot access the drive now and gives me the error "Format Drive".

I don't mind it too much, I haven't formatted it yet, because I have multiple ways of recovering the data I have off that drive, or at least maybe be able to heal the partition to be able to access it again like normal.

But this does pose a problem for many other people. I am unsure WHY this happened, why it got stuck for any reason at all. Its a fresh install and I have barely anything on the machine, other then 2 games, and 2 third party programs.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
So I went ahead and did try to delete the cache job on the SSD too, but it again got stuck, so now it looks like I am in a pickle, because if I restart now, I wont be able to boot into the same system most likely, as it is not corrupted too.

I am not mad for any reason or anything, I am just putting it out there, I can't figure out this horrible bug. Maybe it is the defer write and L2 cache problem, I am not sure.
refusetofeel
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Primocache GUI freezing after removing cache job

Post by refusetofeel »

I was able to to recover the drive. Turns out the partition table got corrupted (Great).

Using TestDisk I was able to recover the partition table, and write a new one, saving the data. Very nondestructive method.

I was also able to restart without a problem.

So great, I got everything back, and I decided to start from scratch.

So I began to do everything over again, this time I decided to just set the HDD to just Read. Alright cool, benchmarks are nice. So I restart..............

It runs a chkdsk on the HDD, and the files go missing. AWESOME. Fix on problem, here comes another.

At least the primocache gui didn't freeze up this time.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Primocache GUI freezing after removing cache job

Post by Support »

Thanks for the report!
We're now checking the issues on Windows 8.1.