Total Read/Write in GUI appears incorrect after changing....

Found a bug? Report here
4EverMaAT
Level 3
Level 3

Total Read/Write in GUI appears incorrect after changing....

Post by 4EverMaAT »

After I made an update to my cache settings (i think I increased the L1 cache from 1024MB to 2048MB), suddenly I went from measuring cache by the MB to the GB.

I was running 1 crystalMark benchmark, but I didn't pass through 400GB in 8 minutes or so.
primocache bug with read write display mb vs gb.png
primocache bug with read write display mb vs gb.png (108.75 KiB) Viewed 8463 times

Then before I posted this thread, I made another change to cache settings. I increased the L1 cache again to 4096MB. After clicking ok to adjust settings, it appears as if the cache disabled itself. I now had 0 cache. When I ran a benchmark test (crystalmark), it was back to the slow speeds of before. :( I confirmed in my available system ram that it did appear like the cache was no longer being used. I never hit the stop or pause button.
primocache bug changed settings cache disappeared.png
primocache bug changed settings cache disappeared.png (95.96 KiB) Viewed 8463 times
I then tried to change the settings again, but after getting the confirmation message that the new settings have been applied, I still see that the cache is 0.....nothing was changed.

Definitely a bug.
4EverMaAT
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Total Read/Write in GUI appears incorrect after changing

Post by 4EverMaAT »

Win 7 64 bit, 12GB ram, acer i5 3rd gen quad core laptop.

I then tried to delete the cache task and start a new cache task. I got an error: insufficient resources.

I know this is false because I have almost 10GB of available ram, and I was trying to create a 4gb L1 cache. I tried adjusting the block size up to 512k, but it didn't help the bug.
primocache bug failed to start.png
primocache bug failed to start.png (60.23 KiB) Viewed 8462 times
Also, there is no system tray icon for me to pull up the gui quickly. Is this another bug, or is this intentional?
4EverMaAT
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 4EverMaAT »

^^ After restarting my laptop, I tried again at 4096 MB to start a new cache task. I get error that I have insufficient memory.

I then reduce the memory to 1024 and it works! So I tried to edit itto increase the alloted L1 cache to 3072. It says it updated, but then the actual cache task is disabled somehow.

Then I try to delete that task, and re-create new cache task again at 3072 MB. I get the error that I have insufficient memory.

I then change the setting to 2048 MB and it creates the cache task and I will leave it there. But there is a serious bug going on here, because I should be able to create an 8gb cache if I wanted to....I have the available ram. The error messages don't make any sense.
4EverMaAT
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 4EverMaAT »

I wonder if this bug here has anything to do with this: http://www.softperfect.com/board/read.php?16,13852

Anyway, I noticed that another bug with GUI not updating. The Free Cache appears to not work properly. I have no idea why:
primocache bug free l1 cache.png
primocache bug free l1 cache.png (108.55 KiB) Viewed 8441 times
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Total Read/Write value is reasonable if you runned benchmark programs. Benchmark programs may repeatedly read/write lots of test data.
Free Cache (L1/L2) is also correct. This value just indicates whether PrimoCache needs to discards old cache content for making room for new data.

Strange things are 1) "0MB" L1 after changing the cache setting, and 2) failed to setup 4096MB L1 cache. We'll check it.
Thanks for the report!
4EverMaAT
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 4EverMaAT »

support wrote:Total Read/Write value is reasonable if you runned benchmark programs. Benchmark programs may repeatedly read/write lots of test data.
Free Cache (L1/L2) is also correct. This value just indicates whether PrimoCache needs to discards old cache content for making room for new data.

Strange things are 1) "0MB" L1 after changing the cache setting, and 2) failed to setup 4096MB L1 cache. We'll check it.
Thanks for the report!
Sometimes if the change in cache size fails, then I must restart the computer to get the cache to work. This is strange, but at least it works. I haven't restarted yet, but I think it will work.

But this bug also occurred in SuperCache, a competitor product. Any L1 cache above 2 or 2.5 GB failed. I have about 8-10GB ram free when I attempted.

I can confirm that the cache does seem to speed up some programs that use repetitive data, such as when I run backtests on metatrader 4. I want to test with Camtasia studio, but have not had the time yet.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

4EverMaAT wrote:But this bug also occurred in SuperCache, a competitor product. Any L1 cache above 2 or 2.5 GB failed. I have about 8-10GB ram free when I attempted.
Is it possible that this issue is caused by bad memory sticks? Have you tested your memory?
4EverMaAT
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 4EverMaAT »

support wrote: Is it possible that this issue is caused by bad memory sticks? Have you tested your memory?
1) how do I test my memory sticks properly?
2) If that were true, wouldn't all of my programs crash, not just primoCache?

I was also using a program SoftPerfect RamDisk. It wouldn't allow an instant creation of a large disk beyond 2-3GB after the first one was created. But when I restarted my computer, the larger ramdisk was created with no problems.

The bug appears to be related to instant creation of a larger Cache. Whether new or a change from an old one. But on system restart, it appears to be ok (still need to double-check this).

Does your program have some type of verbose logging that can be sent to you? I think this would be better than just 'guessing' the problem. In this way, you could know exactly [or more precisely] why the program fails at a certain step.
4EverMaAT
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 4EverMaAT »

4EverMaAT wrote:
support wrote: .........
The bug appears to be related to instant creation of a larger Cache. Whether new or a change from an old one. But on system restart, it appears to be ok (still need to double-check this).
I can confirm that with or without an error prompt from the PrimoCache when I adjust the cache size, the Cache size will often not change until after reboot. I cannot send you any logs because your program does no logging.

But on reboot, the cache size is correct.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

4EverMaAT wrote:1) how do I test my memory sticks properly?
Windows itself has memory test tool. Right after BIOS, before windows starts, push F8. Select Memory Test from the options.

I think this issue is really related to your computer hardware and software configuration. Perhaps certain program blocks or affects memory allocation. From the issue description, no instant large memory allocation can succeed. That's why PrimoCache or other similar programs failed.