Dynamic Memory Management not working with Win 8.1?

FAQ, getting help, user experience about Primo Ramdisk
markg
Level 1
Level 1

Dynamic Memory Management not working with Win 8.1?

Post by markg »

Hi,

I use a 3GB Ram disk for Temporary Internet Files, Windows & User temporary files and FireFox cache.

The disk is DirectIO, NTFS and has a Plain Image.

Since upgrading from Windows 7 to 8.1 I note that when using Dynamic Memory Management (DMM), the memory used is in proportion to the size of the image file and NOT the size of data on the ram disk.

For example when I create a new ram disk using the DMM setting and the memory used IS in proportion to the data on the ram disk, but as soon the image is saved (at Shutdown) and the PC is restarted, the memory utilised is the full 3GB (i.e. size of the ram disk / plain image file) and NOT the size of data on the disk which is less than 300MB. The issue only seems to occur after PC restart, i.e. if I use the ramdisk software to save the image (prior to shutdown), then the memory used is still in proportion to the data on the disk.

The compact option is better with a smart image, but the smart image grows over time and in my case the same issue exists, i.e. I can have 200MB on the ram disk but as the smart image has grown to 1GB then 1GB memory is utilised in Windows, rather than just 200MB.

This does not seem to be working as I would expect and I do not remember having these issues on Windows 7. Does Windows 8.1 handle ram disks differently?

Note that I also use Primo Cache, if that has any bearing.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Dynamic Memory Management not working with Win 8.1?

Post by Support »

During the loading of the image file to the ramdisk, RAM has to be allocated to hold image file data. If you really want both the image file feature and the dynamic memory management feature, you can enable the "Delay Load" option.
markg
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Dynamic Memory Management not working with Win 8.1?

Post by markg »

Thanks for the reply. A further question - why does the smart image not re-size itself based on the size of data? For example after a week I have a smart image of 1Gb for data of 200MB.