Modifying the cache settings. Topic is solved

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
idefix44
Level 8
Level 8

Modifying the cache settings.

Post by idefix44 »

It seems that the best way to change the cache settings is to uninstall PrimoCache, to reinstall it and to create the new cache with the new settings.
To use the "Stop Command" and the "Create Command" in order to change the settings of a cache make PrimoCache going wrong...

This is my experience.

All the problem I encounter with PrimoCache happend after having change the cache settings using the "Stop" and "Create" commands.
CrypEd
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Modifying the cache settings.

Post by CrypEd »

And all the problem is what exactly?

Sorry to say that, but I only experienced a problem creating a new cache after stoppign the old one single times, dozens of versions ago.

I experimented in modifying cache-settings, benching and testing them.. re-created about10 different caches plus having ram-disks running during the same run-time, not experiencing a problem.

To make sure, whatever causes this for you is not the fault of your mainboard, cables, controller, firmware, driver, drive-settings, you should make sure that in your environment all drives you want to use PrimoCache with are in a full AHCI-compliant state (MSAHCI-driver, BIOS SATA-Mode AHCI, latest Firmware, latest BIOS) or you could check enabling drives write-cache or windows stopw rite-cache-flushining makes a difference.

This is 99,9% not PCs fault!
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Thanks for the information! It is very usable, and I think this issue might be same as the report below,
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2312
We'll group this issue.
CrypEd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by CrypEd »

Well it's probably something related to sleep/hibernate or superfetch/prefetching or write-caching/flushing.

I have sleep and hibernate deactivated and use the drives-write cache and stop windows from flushing (device manager option) and I never experienced a cache-modify/re-create bug.

I just add my 5 pence what else might be the cause. I just think it would be a good idea to make sure everything is setup in AHCI-mode correctly, drives FW and BIOS is up-to-date and test the write-cache/flush device-manager tweaks, because if it is not and one of those is the cause, you (the support) search for the needle in the haystack, while there is none ;)
idefix44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by idefix44 »

To CrypEd:
You forgot to ask about my video card driver's...
And no where in the PrimoCache documentation,I read something about the specifications you involved in your post. So...
CrypEd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by CrypEd »

Thats ridiculous. The VGA is not connected to your drive, while all my tips and hints directly are. FInd someone else solute your problems. Good luck then.

Why should primocache documentation tell you to always keep actual Firmware of your drive?? You should know that by yourself! Stop moaning: Just check if it is up-to-date.
Why should primocache documentation tell you to always keep actual BIOS of your motherboard?? You should know that by yourself! Stop moaning: Just check if it is up-to-date.
Why should primocache documentation tell you that a microsoft-driver make less problems than a random thrid party driver which programmers continueily work on? You should know that by yourself? Stop moaning: Just make sure you checked it with Microsoft-SATA-driver (MSAHCI).
Why should primocache documentation tell you that some solid-state-disks have problems with windows algorythms to fill up the drives-write-cache, so you better try what works better for you? STop moaning: Just check if enabling write-cache/flush cache makes a difference?

It should be pretty obvious that PrimoCache developers cannot solute something that is caused by Fimrware, BIOS or windows-misconfiguration and they don't have to tell you that because all of these are not in responsibility of romex, if you don't get it... im not sry.

Listen if you want no help from me simply stop answering me, but stop beeing ignorant like this, because i mean it to help.

Your answer sounds really strange to me, like a person trying to cook coffee in the back of his caravan during 80mph on the freeway, while he thinks the cruise control drives his car... while he claims, the specification/documentation doesn't warn him that the cruise control cannot drive the caravan! oh really? THATS your argue?
idefix44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by idefix44 »

CrypEd wrote:Thats ridiculous. The VGA is not connected to your drive, while all my tips and hints directly are. FInd someone else solute your problems. Good luck then.
Hey guy, just a little joke for the Bill Gates's cousin...

For help about my problems with PrimoCache, I think that "Support" is more competent than ... ? :roll:

Best regards.
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

Spam post by daxionglu reported
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

All such issues shall have been fixed in version 1.0.1. Thanks all.