whats the max l2 cache size

Post by gabrielmorrow »

just wondering
idefix44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: whats the max l2 cache size

Post by idefix44 »

It's the MAXimum free size of the L2Cache dedicated partition.
gabrielmorrow
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gabrielmorrow »

next question is when i reinstall windows should i install it on my 1 tb hard drive and use the 256 gigbyte drive as cache
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

max l2 cache size is about 1.5T
Davey126
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Davey126 »

gabrielmorrow wrote:next question is when i reinstall windows should i install it on my 1 tb hard drive and use the 256 gigbyte drive as cache
That depends on the type of each drive (HDD or SSD) and your specifc storage needs. All else being equal I would use the smaller drive for cache.
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

Davey126 wrote:...All else being equal I would use the smaller drive for cache.
For HDDs, smaller capacity often means lower speed (lower capacity -> lower data density -> less data read/written at a given spindle speed).

For caching to show any benefit, it needs to use the faster (and for a perceptible benefit, much faster) medium. So there's almost certainly no point in using one HDD to cache another (assuming that the 256GB drive mentioned above is an HDD - Gabrielmorrow's post doesn't make it clear).
gabrielmorrow
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gabrielmorrow »

well to clarify the 256 GB is a ssd
Davey126
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Davey126 »

In that case you would want to use the 256 GB SSD for L2 cache (or a portion of that drive). You really get the best of both worlds - tons of cheap storage on your primary system drive augmented by a significant speed boost via L1 and/or L2 caches resident on faster media.

Alternatively you could go with the SSD as your primary and the HDD as a secondary drive for large or infrequently accessed files. In that configuration I suppose you could use a portion of the SSD as L2 cache for the HDD but that might create some significant performance issues depending on workload.