About the State of License between UAC ON and OFF

FAQ, getting help, user experience about Primo Ramdisk
r8ry
Level 1
Level 1

About the State of License between UAC ON and OFF

Post by r8ry »

Hi,
I am reporting a strange behaviour that Primo Ramdisk Pro software takes in some unusual cases in Win8.1.

Not wih the email address of my account in this forum, with the other email address I have bought the Ramdisk Pro 3PC version.
And, I was using it (I mean I installed it) when I set the Windows 8 UAC function completely off (not from the control panel but) from the registry.
It's been working okay, but now Microsoft released Windows8.1, and this 8.1 needs UAC state to be ON.
(becasue when UAC is off, "Apps" can not be run.)(this is only my guess but UAC is using a sort of virtual user which gives different identity to the hardware.)

Now the problem about Primo Ramdisk registered under Win8 UAC off running on Win8.1 UAC on.
everytime I boot up the system, ramdisk application tells me "Expired" so it does not function.
I can still access to the menu part of ramdisk GUI in the situation, so I re-entered my registration code.
And then, the ramdisk application just accepts the registration code and "looks like" starts working.
But, when I reboot or restart the OS, the ramdisk application tells me "Expired" and suggests me to purchase the license.
So, I turned off UAC from the registry in Win8.1, and restarted the OS. now Primo Ramdisk works just as it used to be.

There is definitely an issue either in UAC of the OS or the way the ramdisk application handles and operates licenses WITH UAC.

I do not know what kind of solution that I want for this problem.
But, I will put up with using the ramdisk with UAC off until some modification or improvements has been applied to the next version of the Primo ramdisk.

And, if, there is some way to solve this problem with the actions that endusers can access to, it would be great if you tell me how to get out of this situation.

Thank you.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: About the State of License between UAC ON and OFF

Post by Support »

Hi r8ry,

How about if you reinstall the program again and then activate the program under UAC on? You need to restart Windows (neither shutdown the computer nor restart the program) after you input the activation code in the program GUI.

PS. Some users encountered the expiration problem when they upgraded to Windows 8.1, but after reactivation and restart the computer the problem is solved.
r8ry
Level 1
Level 1

Post by r8ry »

Hi,

succeeded.
I did it just as you suggested me to do, and it seems now it's working properly with UAC (on in the registry + off on the control panel).
So, just for reference, I report you what I did to make it work.
First, I unloaded the ramdisk image from the Primo ramdisk application.
Second, I uninstalled the Primo Ramdisk from my computer, Win8.1 (now UAC off in the registry).
Third, I changed the value in the registry to let the OS handle UAC; UAC on in the registry (still off on the control panel).
Forth, I restart my pc, and lauched the Primo Ramdisk software. now the application says Expried, so I entered my username and registration code.
Then, the Primo Ramdisk application urges me to restart my pc to make it take effect. As it says, I restarted my pc.
and, so far it seems the application does not roll back to the Expired state.
So, I should say it worked, and the problem has been solved.
If any strange thing happens, I will write back again. But, so far/for now, it's solved.

Thank you for your information and support.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Thanks for the feedback! And I'm glad that the problem is solved. :)