Report bugs or suggestions around VSuite Ramdisk
Emperos
Level 2
Level 2

ease of gameing-highely used files

Post by Emperos »

i have a couple ideas

on a potential pay side
1. a very interesting feature would be a process that when selected will monitor a process to see which files are used the most. (tested during use) then when some time has passed using said process have the program make a profile for the process. then when the profile is used it would use a ram disk and copy over the most used files (keeping size in mind of course) to the ram disk a create some kind of symbolic link from the data to the ram

hopefully free
2. On select image allow the use of a folder or folders from the hard disk. then make a symbolic link from those folders to the ram disk. also put the originals some where else in case of a crash, potentially with auto restoring when the program is launched after said crash.

free
3. allowing the use of a hardisk folder as an image.
Zero3K
Level 3
Level 3

Re: ease of gameing-highely used files

Post by Zero3K »

If you're wanting a program that can cache frequently used files, then try eBoostr (http://www.eboostr.com).
Emperos
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Emperos »

it definitely can be used with with romex for use with unmanaged ram which is nice. but one problem... money. although i like how this program works. only if they allowed a free version limited to one drive instead of a 19$ version with only one drive
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Thanks for your ideas!

1. This feature has already been implemented by some other companies. Also there are some other users suggest us developing it. We will evaluate it later.

2. Currently we are thinking a feature called "folder synchronization", which allows to synchronize the folders in the ramdisk and the physical disk. It probably like your suggestion 2 & 3.
Emperos wrote:i have a couple ideas

on a potential pay side
1. a very interesting feature would be a process that when selected will monitor a process to see which files are used the most. ...

hopefully free
2. On select image allow the use of a folder or folders from the hard disk. then make a symbolic link from those folders to the ram disk. ...

free
3. allowing the use of a hardisk folder as an image.
Emperos
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Emperos »

Again i must compliment this company. i love the responsive members.
im glad to hear others wanting this feature it may mean that someone knows what there are doing unlike me.

if you can answer i do have one question. does folder synchronization "trick" applications attempting to use said folders into using the ramdisk. if not, it is not problem for me. im currently doing it all in a bat file (robo copy here, make a link there etc) having this feature would speed thing along... and cause less wear on my Hd either way.

I really like this company. when i get out of college and get a job ill definitely be buying this software. (even if direct io is given to the free version)
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

"Folder Synchronization" intends to update the ramdisk's content from the said folder or update the folder from the ramdisk. We may create a symbolic link between the said folder and the ramdisk, so it can direct the application to access the ramdisk instead of the real folder.
Yes, you are right, this work can be done by a bat file or by third-party tool. However with this feature, user may feel more convenient.

Also there are some other features in consideration, but because we have to fix bugs and develop the 64-bit support for vista and windows 7 at first, these things are in low priority.

Thanks for your support.