Defer-Write infinite and no flush cache corrupts files problem.

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
krzyys1
Level 1
Level 1

Defer-Write infinite and no flush cache corrupts files problem.

Post by krzyys1 »

Hello,
I tried using primocache with "Defer-Write - infinite" and "no flush cache on shutdown" options enabled
I set the cache this way, make a temporary pause and restart the system.
After starting the system and programs, nothing was saved on the disk, according to the information from Primocache.
I restart the system and thanks to the "no flush cache on shutdown" option, it should remain unchanged.
Unfortunately, after testing, it turns out that the Vivaldi browser and Total Uninstall profiles are damaged, which means that the files were saved with errors.
Why does this happen and is it possible to fix it?
Sorry for the errors with google translate.
Thanks
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Defer-Write infinite and no flush cache corrupts files problem.

Post by Support »

If your cache space is not large enough to store all incoming write-data, "urgent write" will occur, forcing a certain amount of write-data to be written to disk. And you have also enabled "skip flush on shutdown", which will cause the other part of the write-data not to be written, thus corrupting the file system.

PrimoCache is not designed to protect data from being written. And the "Skip Flush on Shutdown" option is only for special scenarios like diskless systems.
krzyys1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by krzyys1 »

The cache was many times larger than the stored data, so there was no "urgent write". So why were the files corrupted? Theoretically, this shouldn't happen. I didn't notice any other damage and the system continued to work fine.
I remember that when I did this on Windows XP, I didn't have this problem.

I would like to use "Defer-Write - infinite" together with "Skip Flush on Shutdown" to shut down the system when necessary without saving any changes made to it. However, if I want to save the changes, I need to pause the cache and flush. I would really like such a mechanism.
But why do files get corrupted when they theoretically shouldn't?
Maybe there is something that could fix this problem?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Could you please upload your cache configuration and stats for our reference by following the guidance in the link below?
https://kb.romexsoftware.com/en-us/2-pr ... leshooting

And what is your Windows OS version?
krzyys
Level 1
Level 1

Post by krzyys »

Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Attachments
PrimoCache No flush.png
PrimoCache No flush.png (72.69 KiB) Viewed 70 times
0liVer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 0liVer »

@krzyys
On file level Windows is thinking the file was written but in real it was not. What is Windows internal doing with such information? I dont know :-(