reset after crash

Found a bug? Report here
Magistar
Level 3
Level 3

reset after crash

Post by Magistar »

I am having trouble keeping me read cache 'alive'. I am using 120GB of a 500 GB SSD to cache 3 GB of data. It works except that it regulary resets. Just now I was up to 64GB of used read cache. I had a black screen (not sure why), reset my pc and the cache was back to 0. AFAIK my files should not be purged on a random reset.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: reset after crash

Post by Jaga »

L2 cache contents will almost always reset on a BSOD or other system crash involving hardware or OS instability. It is by design to ensure that cache contents accurately match drive contents.

You should probably look into why your machine is crashing/locking up, and resolve that problem so that your cache isn't cleared regularly.
Magistar
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Magistar »

Well my machine is having issues because of a game called Anthem which only EA can fix.

If this reset behavior is by design then that design has a flawed logic. If you pause the cache and reset the machine the cache will still break. If you change files while caching is paused primocache will still work. This means there has to already be some sort of checking mechanism present (hash based?). So it makes no sense to me to do a 'stupid' reset. If you are worried about integrity, just run a check.

With the current behavior Primocache is not attractive for me to use. I use primocache to accelerate a 3 TB hard disk with a 2 TB partition of games on 100GB of an SSD. Now in theory this is great because most games use less than 50% of their install base (because each texture set is in the game folder entirely). So the 100GB of SSD space allows me to accelerate at least 10 games. Whereas normally a single game would take up 40, 70 or even 110 GB (Rainbow six siege).

But it takes time to 'build' the cache and with 1TB SSD's now only 110 euro with this behavior it makes more sense to me to just get a 1 TB SSD, manually copy the games and save 30 dollars on a primocache license.

TLDR: Please remove the resetting behavior as it will make primocache obsolete.
Magistar
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Magistar »

Well my machine is having issues because of a game called Anthem which only EA can fix.

If this reset behavior is by design then that design has a flawed logic. If you pause the cache and reset the machine the cache will still break. If you change files while caching is paused primocache will still work. This means there has to already be some sort of checking mechanism present (hash based?). So it makes no sense to me to do a 'stupid' reset. If you are worried about integrity, just run a check.

With the current behavior Primocache is not attractive for me to use. I use primocache to accelerate a 3 TB hard disk with a 2 TB partition of games on 100GB of an SSD. Now in theory this is great because most games use less than 50% of their install base (because each texture set is in the game folder entirely). So the 100GB of SSD space allows me to accelerate at least 10 games. Whereas normally a single game would take up 40, 70 or even 110 GB (Rainbow six siege).

But it takes time to 'build' the cache and while the cache is empty I have to be patient. With 1TB SSD's now only 110 euro it makes more sense to me to just get a 1 TB SSD, manually copy the games and save 30 dollars on a primocache license. This would clearly not be the case if primocache just keeps my L2 cache intact because I honestly cannot measure a difference between L2 cache loading times and SSD installed games.

TLDR: Please remove the resetting behavior as it will make primocache obsolete.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Yes, we are improving this sync issue.