[2017-12-21] PrimoCache 3.0.2 released!

First hand news related to PrimoCache
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: [2017-12-21] PrimoCache 3.0.2 released!

Post by Support »

@minhgi, I'm sorry that we are still working on major feature updates. It's not working smoothly as we expected.

We have an internal update v3.0.8 as listed below. It does not contain major feature updates.

(Desktop Edition)
http://www.romexsoftware.com/download/p ... .Setup.zip

(Server Edition)
http://www.romexsoftware.com/download/p ... .Setup.zip

Thanks.
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

@Support

NO, I just happy for you guys to even release an alpha version for us enthusiastic to test. I be more than happy to test and report any bugs/provide logs.

Testing this version on the same laptop since when it was Fancycache v.01 or .02
manus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by manus »

Can we get a changelog for 3.0.8?
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

Internal caching behavior the same. No conflict with Dis-keeper 18 PRO or Perfect Disk 14.

Did the preset configuration always been there or new?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

minhgi wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:37 pm Did the preset configuration always been there or new?
"Preset Configuration" is newly added to simplify the UI operations and provide reference configuration set for newbies.
Asgaroth
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Asgaroth »

minhgi wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:37 pm No conflict with Dis-keeper 18 PRO or Perfect Disk 14.
@minhgi Which disk optimizer would you recommend between these two? I have a workstation with 2 10TB volumes that I have PrimoCache configured for, however I have a lot of fragmentation on these two volumes, and have been on the hunt for a disk optimization app, I see you say these two dont conflict with PrimoCache, which is great, however, which would you recommend out of the two?
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

@Asgaroth - While it wasn't mentioned, I use Auslogics Disk Defrag Professional, for it's ability to defragment multiple drives at the same time. When I take my 9-drive storage pool offline I want it back up in less than a day, and Auslogics allows me to do that due to processing speed. Just a suggestion for another defragment program to take a look at.
Axel Mertes
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Axel Mertes »

I am using O&O Defrag 19 with 3.08, works like a charm for me.
I also used Diskeeper along 2.40, also no problems.
You should defragment regularly, like every night. Depending on the size of your cache, you will see fairly quick defrags and it keeps your drives very clean and fast.

One note:
If you ever encounter a disk desaster in wich case you may need to recover data from a disk (such as accidential formatted etc.) then its way way way more likely to recover meaningful data from defragmented drive than from a fragmented one. Further, on a defragmented one, accidents usually only affect a small amount of files, while when an accident hits a scattered fragmented file system, it could affect many many files.
Asgaroth
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Asgaroth »

All,

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look at all of the ones suggested.

My setup is 2 x LSI 9211-8i RAID adapters, each with 6 x 4TB drives attached, these 6 drives are then configured in RAID10 volumes. These volumes are then fronted by PrimoCache. It is these RAID10 volumes that I want to de-fragment.

Ideally I'd like something that is essentially set-and-forget, which does on the fly defragmentation as well, it looks like PerfectDisk and DisKeeper both do this, I'm not sure about Auslogic or O&O software. I'd also like it to be the least intrusive, for example, many years ago I ran Diskeeper for a while and found that, at times, it "stalled" my system, I'm not sure what the software is like now-a-days.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

I don't really do set-it-and-forget it defragmentation, since it can mess with Primocache's content and hit rates when clusters are constantly being moved around and the cache is running. Once a month or two I'll take my Drive pool offline and do individual defragmentation. Pausing Primocache, running defrag, then resuming it seems to be the best course of action for my needs. I use a batch file for that purpose with command line options for Primocache.

Having said that, yes - both Auslogics and O&O do automatic defrags. Any of them will serve your purposes. My choice was motivated by concurrent defragmentation so that drives were finished more quickly.