Hybrid sleep not releasing cache? Topic is solved

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
Gogol
Level 2
Level 2

Hybrid sleep not releasing cache?

Post by Gogol »

I bought PrimoCache and it working great.

Another question I have: I have checked "Release L1 cache on hybrid sleep or hibernation" and hybrid sleep is allowed in my power settings and it is working. I noticed that when I put my computer to regular sleep after wakeup the L1 cache is still there (not released). I tested the hybrid sleep function by putting the computer to sleep and then switching off with the power button. After restarting everything was were it was before putting the computer to sleep, even the L1 cache was there.

So that is great and gives me trust. What does this "release L1 cache setting" do then?
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Hybrid sleep not releasing cache?

Post by Jaga »

Normally relasing the L1 on Hybrid/Sleep/Hibernation really does dump whatever Primocache previously loaded into the L1. But it may also be prefetching that content back when it comes out of sleep, so that it re-populates the L1 (just like it would at boot time). See if you can open the GUI quickly after coming out of Sleep/Hibernation and catch it in the act. It -should- be dumping the L1, but that doesn't mean it can't fetch the contents again like any other boot cycle with prefetching.
Gogol
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Gogol »

Yes, I watched that. Usuallly at boot I can see L1 loading, but not after coming out of hybrid sleep. So I think the cache is written to disk. If I disable that setting my computer won't sleep.
I think I watched something else. It is indeed prefetching after coming out of hybrid sleep. :oops:
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

Glad to hear it, my suspicions were correct then. Romex is pretty wily sometimes. ;)