Is PrimoCache Running?

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
ckwong
Level 4
Level 4

Is PrimoCache Running?

Post by ckwong »

I have used PrimoCache for awhile and just run it and not monitoring its hit rate anymore for a few months. When I run the PrimoCache user interface, I do not see the Cache Hit Rate. I am not sure what is the status. A few screenshot is attached for your reference. It seems to be inactive. Sorry for the simple question, where do I activate it? Is it the license activation? This is a registered version, how to activate it?
Attachments
Program Manager_2015-10-25_07-13-33 UI.png
Program Manager_2015-10-25_07-13-33 UI.png (66.9 KiB) Viewed 4961 times
Program Manager_2015-10-25_07-13-33 Config.png
Program Manager_2015-10-25_07-13-33 Config.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 4961 times
Cache Configuration_2015-10-25_07-16-51 Cache Option.png
Cache Configuration_2015-10-25_07-16-51 Cache Option.png (5.67 KiB) Viewed 4961 times
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Is PrimoCache Running?

Post by Support »

You created a cache task, but didn't add any volumes which you want to be cached by this cache task. You may click "Join" the icon (the second one in the command icon bar) to add target volumes to this cache task.
ckwong
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ckwong »

Thank you for the reply. I'll try your suggestion. The question in my mind is that it was running fine. Why suddenly the volume is removed? Looking at the information, I also puzzle by the fact that no Free Cache information. Perhaps an "N/A" could give me a better hit. The status of "inactive" is quite far from no disk cached.
NewUser01
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NewUser01 »

Hi, I just registered to say I had this same problem 3 years later.

My Primocache was running fine a few months back, and I hadn't opened the GUI lately because I assumed it would just keep working. But when I checked it today it looked like the screenshot below.

I added the volumes back and now it's working fine again. But these volumes were somehow removed without my knowledge, so I think there's a bug in the program causing this. Maybe something to do with Windows updates? I'm running Win10 and recently updated to the latest patch (v1803).

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (213.87 KiB) Viewed 3886 times
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

NewUser01 wrote:Hi, I just registered to say I had this same problem 3 years later.

My Primocache was running fine a few months back, and I hadn't opened the GUI lately because I assumed it would just keep working. But when I checked it today it looked like the screenshot below.

I added the volumes back and now it's working fine again. But these volumes were somehow removed without my knowledge, so I think there's a bug in the program causing this. Maybe something to do with Windows updates? I'm running Win10 and recently updated to the latest patch (v1803).
For certain larger Windows updates, it will re-enumerate the disks, which causes Primocache to lose track of them. Primo auto-removes them from the cache task at that point, so you have to manually re-add them back in. No bug in Primocache, it's Windows.
ZSasha
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ZSasha »

So why not detecting such situation and displaying a notification to a user??