Enhance the description related to prefetching L1 Cache. Topic is solved

Suggestions around PrimoCache
arrenwu
Level 2
Level 2

Enhance the description related to prefetching L1 Cache.

Post by arrenwu »

I'm using the Primocahe v4.3.0 and now use L1 write-only cache together with L2 read-only cache.

I spent quite amount of time to learn that the following options described on the Configuration Terms page only show up in Cache Configuration when there is L1 cache.
Prefetch Last Cache: If this option is checked, PrimoCache will automatically load the last cached data into the L1 cache after the computer restarts, thereby improving the speed of the first data read. This option has no effect on the L2 cache, because the L2 cache is persistent, and the cached data still exists after restart.

Start at Windows Boot: By default, prefetch starts after a period of idle time since you logs on to Windows. If this option is enabled, prefetch starts as early as when Windows starts up. Enabling this option may increase the Windows boot-up time.

Lock Cache Content: The cache content to be prefetched is locked to the content of last Windows run and won't be varied on next Windows runs. This option is usually enabled when you see that last Windows run has a good cache hit rate and want to keep this cache content for prefetching on next Windows runs.

Read From Level-2 Cache: If checked, data will be preferentially prefetched from level-2 cache (if applicable). Otherwise, data will be prefetched from disk.
In fact, I think this is reflecting that L1 prefetching only works for L1 "read" cache, am I correct?
If it is true, can we add this notice to the Configuration Terms page of the PrimoCache help documents?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Enhance the description related to prefetching L1 Cache.

Post by Support »

arrenwu wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:48 am In fact, I think this is reflecting that L1 prefetching only works for L1 "read" cache, am I correct?
If it is true, can we add this notice to the Configuration Terms page of the PrimoCache help documents?
Correct. We have updated the help document. You may refresh the page to see the latest content. Thank you for the suggestion.