Install conflict with Samsung Magician

Found a bug? Report here
Tobiwan
Level 4
Level 4

Install conflict with Samsung Magician

Post by Tobiwan »

Hello,

after update my Windows from 1803 to 1809 (now at 17763.195) my Primo Cache does not work anymore. What I tried:

Version 3.0.2
Version 3.0.8
Whitelist rxfcv.sys and rxbsknl.sys on my Bitdefender Antivir Plus
Complete disable Bitdefender Antivir Plus
Checking Windows Eventlogs

The solution was to uninstall Samsung Magician version 5.3.0.1910 and than reinstall Primo Cache 3.0.8, now it work again on my system.

I'm not sure what the problem is, I think it must be the Windows Update 1809, because before the update I use Primo Cache 3.0.8 and Samsung Magician 5.3.0.1910 both on my system without any problem. Every time I installed Primo Cache I found a entry about Samsung Magician\magdrvamd64.sys in the Eventlog, so it seems a conflict at the installation, it was gone after uninstalling the Magician.

Can't report more, maybe it helps you. If I can give you more information let me know.

Tobi
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Install conflict with Samsung Magician

Post by Jaga »

Disable Samsung's RAPID Mode, if you have it enabled. It will conflict with Primocache.
Tobiwan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Tobiwan »

Yes Jaga, I know. The Samsung RAPID Mode was always disabled since I use Primo Cache and it was disabled. I test my SSDs and HDDs every step with AS SSD Benchmark to see if anything changed, and if the RAPID Mode get's enabled by anything I would have noticed it, but the Drives shows normal values and there was no Samsung RAPID Service installed and running at my Windows.

What I don't get is, Primo Cache 3.0.8 + Samsung Magician (RAPID Mode disabled) works perfectly fine before I did the Windows Update to 1809. I did not change Primo or Magician, only Windows on my System.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

Well hmm. I always defer updates on Windows based systems, since I've had issues with their day-1 roll-outs in the past (one client had ~40 PCs with black screens at boot a number of years ago). I'm still on 1803 myself, so can't verify if 1809 causes Primocache problems. It may very well cause Magician problems though. And it sounds like leaving Magician uninstalled helps Primocache to run fine, which corroborates that theory.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

@Tobiwan, thank you very much for the feedback!
We are checking issues on Windows 10 1809 version.
Gogol
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Gogol »

I already had Windows 1809 and Primocache 3.0.8 running on my system. After reading this article I updated Samsung Magician yesterday to the latest version 5.3.0.1903 and today after I turned my computer on I noticed that Primocache was running but Cached Read/Deferred/Trimmed blocks stayed at 0.
I did a reinstall of Primocache 3.0.8 and everything is working again.
rutra80
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rutra80 »

So you have both Samsung Magician and PrimoCache working on 1809? Can you test if Rapid mode is usable?
Tobiwan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Tobiwan »

You can install both, but not enable the Rapid Mode at the same time with running a cache on Primo Cache. I used Samsung Magician for benchmarks and firmware updates before I had the problem and uninstall it.
Gogol
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Gogol »

It seemed that after a reboot I had the same problem. Primocache running but counters stayed at zero. As a test I did remove Samsung Magician from startup and enabled it again. In Task Scheduler I can see that Magician started now after Primocache and both are working together now.
But I don't know for sure what the starting order was before.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

I never have Samsung Magician start with Windows, and always force an exit on it when done using it. There's no practical reason to have it running, especially since you can't use Rapid mode with Primocache.