Found a bug? Report here
ebfortin
Level 3
Level 3

Boot loop after install on Windows 10 17074

Post by ebfortin »

PrimoCache version: 3.02
Cache Settings:
Windows OS: 10 17074 (Insiders Preview, Slow Ring)
Hardware Information (CPU/Motherboard/Memory/Harddisks): Dell Inspiron i5557, 128 GB M2 Storage, 1 TB 5400 RPM HDD
Description:

Before anyone answer by a quick "but you are using preview software"! I've ALWAYS been using insider preview version of Windows 10. Without any problem. And with 17074 Microsoft introduced the Meltdown / Specter mitigation, which includes Kernel VA Shadow (KPTI on Linux for the one more familiar). I strongly believe this is the culprit.

First I tried update from 17025 to 17074 and wasn't able to. In the middle of the upgrade Windows Update was just reverting to the previous version with a cryptic error. I then suspected Primocache so I de-installed it and boom! Upgrade to 17074 works! Super. I re-install Primocache reboot and I get into a boot loop. Reset my PC, which removes Primocache. Works again.

I have no direct proof what is the real culprit. But for sure it's Primocache that cause this. And I'm pretty convinced, given the extensive changes mitigiation for Meltdown / Specter brings to Windows, that Primocache is incompatible with these mitigations.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Boot loop after install on Windows 10 17074

Post by Support »

Perhaps this is the driver signing issue. If possible, you may go to the BIOS and disable "Secure Boot" for testing. We'll also check this.
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Boot loop after install on Windows 10 17074

Post by minhgi »

FYI. Have been running 17115 for 5 days without any problem, and gave me BSOD afterward. Don't what happened there. Seem to happened when enabling defer caching for either L1 and L2. stupid me deleted the mini-dump