geneo
Level 4
Level 4

Delay in prefetching cache at windows boot

Post by geneo »

PrimoCache version: 3.0.1
Cache Settings: L1, read+write
Windows OS: Windows 10 1709
Hardware Information (CPU/Motherboard/Memory/Harddisks): Asus Hero VI, 4790k, 960 Pro, other Samsung SSD and WDC hard drive
Description:

Prior to 3.0.1, after a boot, the cache would be prefetching as I logged in. Now the prefetch is "Inactive" for over a minute after I have logged on. Is this a new "feature" and can I eliminate this delay?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Delay in prefetching cache at windows boot

Post by Support »

Prefetching at Windows boot phase is temporarily disabled in the 3.0.1 version. Some users reported that this option may cause some unexpected problems, making Windows instable. We also find that prefetching at Windows boot is not very efficient. We're studying a new method for prefetching.
geneo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by geneo »

OK. It worked fine with no issues at all for me. I rather liked it that it was primed and ready for me to use so quickly.
Is there any way I can remove the delay?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

I'm sorry that so far there's no way to remove the delay. I think we'll provide a way in the next version.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

I'm glad that we add an option in v3.0.2 to enable prefetch at boot phase.
To enable it, run PrimoCache command-line program and type the following command.

rxpcc set BootFetch 1

Regarding the command-line program, please see
http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/prim ... rface.html

Thanks.
geneo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by geneo »

Awesome! Thank you
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

support wrote:I'm glad that we add an option in v3.0.2 to enable prefetch at boot phase.
To enable it, run PrimoCache command-line program and type the following command.

rxpcc set BootFetch 1

Thanks.
Some feedback on this feature:

I noticed prefetch (in my current 3.0.2 version) wasn't running when Windows reached the desktop. It was idling for 30-60 seconds first, then running. I verified the checkbox in the options area was already checked, and re-booted to verify.

When I applied the rxpcc command and rebooted again, prefetch instantly ran (it was actually >4gb through the 20gb prefetch queue by the time I had loaded the GUI, so it was way ahead of me). There might be an issue with the GUI or the way it saves the option, since this feature wasn't working for me in 3.0.2 until I applied the command line fix.
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

Jaga wrote:
support wrote:I'm glad that we add an option in v3.0.2 to enable prefetch at boot phase.

rxpcc set BootFetch 1

Thanks.
Some feedback on this feature:

I noticed prefetch (in my current 3.0.2 version) wasn't running when Windows reached the desktop. It was idling for 30-60 seconds first, then running. I verified the checkbox in the options area was already checked, and re-booted to verify.

When I applied the rxpcc command and rebooted again, prefetch instantly ran (it was actually >4gb through the 20gb prefetch queue by the time I had loaded the GUI, so it was way ahead of me). There might be an issue with the GUI or the way it saves the option, since this feature wasn't working for me in 3.0.2 until I applied the command line fix.
It was reported by some users that instant prefetch slow down their computer boot up to Desktop. Frankly, I don't see that happening on any of my machines. Hope Support can add the commandline option into GUI.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

minhgi wrote:It was reported by some users that instant prefetch slow down their computer boot up to Desktop. Frankly, I don't see that happening on any of my machines. Hope Support can add the commandline option into GUI.
Definitely isn't slowing my boot time any, but then I'm on a decently fast system with tons of RAM and a good SSD, and have a 20gb L1 setup. Definitely want the prefetch running. Perhaps prefetch could auto-configure itself on a new Cache Task setup based on the machine's performance index, or some similar benchmark? It's too good a feature to simply have off all the time.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

It was reported by few users that prefetch at startup caused some problems. We're checking these problems and for safety we temporarily disable the "prefetch at startup". We'll enable it again after we confirmed the issue.