Level 3

Upgraded to Win10 (1709), system freezes

Post by FalkH »

PrimoCache version:2.7.3
Cache Settings:
Task1 (Data) 2GB RAM R/W native, defer write + 2nd level Max
Task2 (System) 4GB RAM R/W native, defer write

Windows OS:10 (1709)
Hardware Information (CPU/Motherboard/Memory/Harddisks): FX8350/32GB/ SSD 128GB System / HD 4TB Data / SSD 480GB 2nd level Cache
Description: 2 times system freezed since upgrade to win10 1709

I am still gathering informations, but since latest win10 upgrade my rig freezed 2 times within 2 days (had to shutdown by holding the power button) inclusive damaged file system on the data drive :( For now I removed all write cache.

After the win upgrade, I had to resetup my cache settings, because it seems they was gone. It's not so new, since somth similar happened on the last upgrade, guess these volume unique identifiers changed again?
A while later the computer freezed for the first time, in the middle of some heavy disk activities. After restarting I did an checkdsk and did some repair.
On the next day the system freezed again while the hd-led was active. This time checkdsk don't found somth to fix after restarting.

Has anybody else these problems or updated lately to win10 1709 without trouble?

P.S. With the previous version, I don't had any of these issue at all.

P.S.S. Since the upgrade, the windows shutdown takes longer or don't even work, without closing open programs manually.

P.S.S.S. System feels so slugish without write cache :cry:
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Upgraded to Win10 (1709), system freezes

Post by minhgi »

All of my systems are now on Win10 1709 using the latest Primocache 3.0.0 beta. That 3 Desktops, 4 laptops, and 2 tablets. Since you have an AMD system, try to update all your drivers. I did have some instability issues but have solved it with drivers update. Also try to to delete the partition used for L2 cache and create a new one. Hope it help.

might just have been lucky with my upgrades to the Fall Creators Update.
FalkH
Level 3
Level 3

Post by FalkH »

minhgi wrote:... might just have been lucky with my upgrades to the Fall Creators Update.
As I wrote, I am still colllecting infos. I noted some weird lines in the eventvwr and have to check this out. Maybe it's a good idea also to give win a fresh install after some upgrades and playing with settings, but I will try the suggestions here first.
I don't think there are driver updates avail related to disk or controller, since my system is pretty much up to date and stable. AMD and Co hardly develop somth for an older platform. They are mostly busy with ryzen nowaday and seems they need to 8-)
Since I switched of write caching, no freeze again.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Thank you for your feedback!
We're now doing the compatibility testing with the Win 10 1709 version.
FalkH
Level 3
Level 3

Post by FalkH »

I am still verifying my findings, but it seems the crash was not related to Primocache. Since yesterday it runs again with my old settings without crash.

The real problem was the graphics driver. I found several reports from other users with the same issue. After upgrading windows some software (e.g. graphics or sound driver) has to be reinstalled, even with the exact same version.
The reason might be the way how the upgrade process is done, it seems it doesn't always copy all the files.
Hope it's finally stable now, otherwise I will just do a fresh install with 1709.
LG25
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LG25 »

Yes, I have had the same thing happen to me. I haven't had a system freeze in 2 years that I can remember, but since this 1709 upgrade it's happened 5 times now (upgraded yesterday). When I shut down (or try to), it just hangs forever. Sometimes the HD light blinks at a constant rate, about 1 sec on, 1 sec off. I have to hold the power button to get it to shut off. It's really annoying and you're not alone. My Win install is only 2 weeks old as I just put a new machine together (I'll list below). Ran super until the update. PrimoCache is running great though. It really is the cache / ramdrive software I've been looking for for a couple of years.

My PC (1 month old)------------------*
AMD Ryzen 7 1800x
Crosshair VI Hero (WiFi AC)
32 Gb GSkill F4-3200C14D-32GTZR
Asus Strix RX-470 (4 Gb)
Custom Water
CoolerMaster V650 PSU (Gold 80)
Drives: ( 17 Tb total)
NVMe 120 Gb (Intel)
SATA 120 Gb (Sandisk) (I use as L2 cache for one of my mechs)
WD 8Tb
WD Blue 6Tb
WD Green 3Tb
FalkH
Level 3
Level 3

Post by FalkH »

Shutdown takes forever if there are still open programs/windows. Seems automatic closing them is not working well anymore, maybe it's a setting I didn't discover yet.

For the freeze issue, try to reinstall your driver some might not have survived the upgrade unharmed.
In my case I noted, the freeze became reproducable everytime I start something in fullscreen.