ebfortin
Level 3
Level 3

Volume detach itself from a Cache Task

Post by ebfortin »

PrimoCache version: 2.7.3 Registered
Cache Settings: 512 MB L1, 103 GB NVEM L2
Windows OS: 10 Version 1709, Build 16291
Hardware Information (CPU/Motherboard/Memory/Harddisks): Dell i5577, 8GB, nVidia 1050, 1 TB HDD
Description:
At regular interval, after some days of using PrimoCache, the volume under my cache task just disappear. Last time, I had a pretty good 95% hit rate overall L1/L2 hit rate. But I rebooted and boom! No more volume cached. I had to add the volume again and it worked. Howver I lost the GB of cached data. Which made my system slow again.

In what circumstanced can the volume automaticallt detach from the cache task? Is this a bug?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Volume detach itself from a Cache Task

Post by Support »

Did Windows 10 have a major update/upgrade? During Windows 10 update, sometimes Windows will re-create volume and clean all related information. We're also thinking how to solve this kind of issue.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

If the disk re-enumerates, Primocache loses track of it. That will instantly remove the volume from the cached task it used to be under.
ebfortin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ebfortin »

Actually Windows did update. I got the latest Insiders Preview build. And now that I think about it, it was the case the last time it happened too. You would probably need to tag sectors that are part of windows if you want to be able to reuse the cache after a major update. Or, can you produce a low level driver so you intercept everything, even updates?