Issue filling up a big L2 480GB SSD

Found a bug? Report here
mannix
Level 1
Level 1

Issue filling up a big L2 480GB SSD

Post by mannix »

PrimoCache version: 2.7.3 licensed
Cache Settings: 4GB L1 / 480GB L2, R&W, 16KB cluster, No Defer, No Pre, Overhead 4,62GB
Windows OS: 10
Hardware Information (CPU/Motherboard/Memory/Harddisks): i4770k/GA-Z87 OC-F/32GB/1xSSD 512GB 1xHDD 4TB 3xHDD 2TB CACHE:1xSSD 480GB
Description: Previously using a 1,5GB L1 + 128GB SSD L2 and the SSD was always filled up to the max, now the 480GB is never filling more than 30-60GB, no matter how much time primo is running, currently 434GB free over 447GB
manus
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Issue filling up a big L2 480GB SSD

Post by manus »

I have same problem.
Why the cache does not growth until it's full?
Why a write or read does not place it directly in cache until it's full, and after apply the algorithm (more used/accessed blocks stay in cache or replace less one)
primocache.PNG
primocache.PNG (73.74 KiB) Viewed 4043 times
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Issue filling up a big L2 480GB SSD

Post by Support »

When L2 storage is used for reading cache, it fetches data when following conditions are both met.
1) There were data read from source disks,
2) Windows system and source disks are not so busy.
If you see the speed of L2 fetching is slow (usually this means that PrimoCache think Windows system is busy), you may try changing the "Gather Interval" to "FASTEST" in the L2 advanced options.

In 3.x versions, L2 storage is allowed for writing cache. By default, it is disabled. You need to change the cache ratio of read/write space in its advanced options.

@manus, I saw that your L2 cache is working and fetching data for reading (see "L2Storage Write" in the statistics). Your L2 cache is not set for writing caching, so write data won't be fetched to L2. BTW, if you don't enable Defer-Write, there's no need to set L2 writing cache. Writing too much data to L2 SSD will reduce the SSD's life and decrease its performance.