L2 cache cleared on sleep Topic is solved

Found a bug? Report here
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

L2 cache cleared on sleep

Post by minhgi »

PrimoCache version: 3.0.0 beta
Cache Settings: 1GB L1 / 32GB L2 / integrated cache strategy with 10 sec defer write
Windows OS: Windows 10 Creator updates
Hardware Information (CPU/Motherboard/Memory/Harddisks): Lenovo Yoga12 / Broadwell i7-5600U / 8GB memory / 1TB Toshiba
Description:

L2 cache would get cleared when laptop sleep and L1 memory cache is enabled. The laptop would attempt sleep but it would hard shutdown after 5 minutes attempting to sleep. To work around the bug, and make the laptop sleep normally, I would have to do this work arround. I would enable flush l1 on sleep, enable invisible memory, and hybrid sleep, then let it hybrid sleep once. Wake up the laptop and disable the hybrid sleep, that when laptop would go into into s3 sleep normally. Wierd. Disabling L1 cached completely will remediate the problem as well.

When hybrid sleep is used, the sleep function work fine. Waking up the laptop and reboot the it, the boot time is slower than a cold reboot, that cached, as if some of the boot cached get push out of L2 during hybrid sleep. Work ok for normal desktop since hybrid sleep is the default sleep mode.

This have been tested on 3 different laptops brand. Lenovo \ Dell \ HP. Since the 3.0.0 beta release, I have been using the hybrid sleep for the laptop but this getting frustrating since I want my laptop to use the L1, sleep fast, and boot fast.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: L2 cache cleared on sleep

Post by Support »

This problem does not happen in 2.x versions, right?
Could you help us test the case in which L2 writing cache is disabled (that is, L2 is only used for reading cache)?
Thank you very much!
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

From my past usage of v2, it normal S3 sleep had been working, but this was introduce with v3 beta and Windows 10 Anniversary Edition. I did the following test, with these setting enable.

Setup 1: Normal sleep, L2 Read Cache, Flush to L1 on hybrid sleep
Result: Normal sleep fail

Setup 2: Hybrid sleep, L2 Read Cache, Flush to L1 on hybrid sleep
Result: Hybrid sleep work

I am not sure what is happening with the normal sleep even when read only L2 was enabled. I have tested setup twice and provided the two minidumps.
Attachments
081117-30593-01.zip
(51.53 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
081117-29062-01.zip
(50.02 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

update to l2 boot cache data getting push out after 3rd or 4th hybrid sleep. On full reboot, about 2GB of boot cache was cleared and have to be recache. It a waste of good data since without it, the boot time is just like booting straight from the hard drive. The program data still remain cached on the laptop. Anyway, I hope that the issue for normal S3 sleep get fix.
Attachments
2017-08-14_084143.png
2017-08-14_084143.png (214.89 KiB) Viewed 7738 times
2017-08-14_083504.png
2017-08-14_083504.png (214.67 KiB) Viewed 7738 times
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

We checked the dump files and see the cause of the problem. However, we still don't know why the normal sleep fails but hybrid sleep works and why it also works when L1 cache is disabled. We're still checking this problem and will update the topic when we find anything.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

I don't use Sleep mode anymore because of issues like this (not just with Primocache). It's just too problematic with many devices/drivers out there.
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

Yah...Windows 10 Anniversary sure great but break allot of drivers. Anyway, if we don't report any bug and not try to get it fix, well it eventually be become annoying when performance degrade after several sleeps.

Maybe I should migrate to SSD complete. My L2 is actually a 256GB m2. sata. Don't know, I still like hearing the hard drive making noise when it read/write since it sound like it actually working/appealing. May be I still old school.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

No, you're not that old school. I still remember (and like) the flashing dot in the upper corner of the screen indicating HDD activity. I think that went back to Windows 95/98/98se.

I think Sleep mode (at it's core) is problematic. Advanced tools like Primocache have a hard time becoming compatible. It would be nice, but I'm not pushing for it.
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

Hi Support. Please mark this issue as fixed. Awaiting for the final stable release and hope to see new features added as well.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

@minhgi, Many thanks for the help on this issue. We'll integrate the fix into the next release.