C: and D: | 10000MB | R/W | Defer-Write | 300 sec | Buffer | Free Cache on W

Windows OS:
Win 10 Pro x64

Hardware Information (CPU/Motherboard/Memory/Harddisks):
Skylake i7
16GB RAM
Drivers - C: / D: / E: / G: / Z:

Description:
Worked well at 6GB with ~50% cache hit rate. I was only going to be on the web so I increased the cache to 10GB to see how snappy surfing could be. The cache hit rate did not reset and remained at the same ~50% rate. I saw more memory allocated in Task Manager. I rebooted and got Stop code: DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL.

System Repair did not work so I went into Advanced settings and went into Safe Mode Networking.
Removed PrimoCache 2.6.0.

System booted fine.

Reinstalled PrimoCache 2.6.0.
Restarted and put in key.
Booted fine.
Set cache to ~6GB.
Restarted fine.

I wondered if the fail would follow the cache size increase or if it was some other random bug.

I increased the cache to 10GB.
I saw more memory allocated in Task Manager.
I rebooted and got Stop code: DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL.

System Repair did not work so I went into Advanced settings and went into Safe Mode Networking.
Removed PrimoCache 2.6.0.

System booted fine.

Reinstalled PrimoCache 2.6.0.
Restarted and put in key.
Booted fine.
Set cache to ~6GB.
Restarted fine.

I reported the fail here and I will stay at 8GB or less until I hear a reason to think I will not fail to boot.

Regards,
Eric
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Re: BSOD - 2.6.0 - DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL - Repeatable

Post by InquiringMind »

It might be worth trying 8191/8192MB just to confirm if the fault occurs at that exact point. Other than that, my only suggestion is that your Write-Defer time (300 seconds = 5 minutes) is very high and, under the circumstances, likely to result in corrupted data on system failure (see this thread for an example).

I would suggest disabling it to see if it makes any difference - if your problem persists, then re-enable it but leave it at the 10 second default.

As for dump files, these should have filename extensions .dmp or .mdmp (for minidumps) and your system needs to be configured to create them. See Tenforums: How to Configure Windows 10 to Create Dump Files on BSOD for more details.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

@escaward, can you find the dump files for this kind of BSOD as InquiringMind suggested? If have, send them to [email protected]. Thanks.
navvy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by navvy »

Hi Guys,

I get the same problem here on my laptop but not my desktop. I've also seen a weird problem happen with my Intel wifi sometimes before the BSOD.
Both machines have 32gb ram, both run off NVMe SSDs, both have secondary HDDs, both have 1070 GPUs. Networking between them is very different.
Desktop is using 2.5 and has been for ages. Laptop is on 2.6.

I've seen the same stop code as above OR BUG_NDIS_something_something. (I can't remember the exact code.)

After reading above I tried 8190mb as my read/write cache size and it never crashes, reboots fine. Until I change it to 8192 or higher.

I've used 10s and 300s delayed write with no difference. It seems the 8g boundary is the issue, combined with a wifi networking driver conflict maybe?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Well, if you mean "BUGCODE_NDIS_DRIVER" bsod, then we have noticed this problem and listed it in the Known Issues List (viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2174). It seems that PrimoCache and intel drivers for intel wireless dual-band network adapter have compatibility issues in Windows 10 AU build.
Can you tell me the laptop brand and model?
navvy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by navvy »

I just did a few tests. It is definitely BUGCODE_NDIS_DRIVER most of the time.

I have an ASUS ROG STRIX GL502VS. The Wifi card is an Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 8260.

If I can help or test builds/settings, let me know. I can do tests on the secondary drive without too much trouble.
escaward
Level 3
Level 3

Post by escaward »

test version 2.6.2 resolved my issue

Thanks!
Eric
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Thank you all! This issue has been fixed in the version 2.7.0.