Massive performance drop from v8 Topic is solved

Found a bug? Report here
JeremyP99
Level 1
Level 1

Massive performance drop from v8

Post by JeremyP99 »

Running CrystalDiskMark, I am seeing a HUGE performance drop from version 8. See attached, file names indicate the "state", i.e cacheing ON/PAUSED/STOPPED/ON with Deferred Write. All are pretty similar. Fancy cache with deferred write on gave me HUGELY better figures. Am I missing something? The benchmarks suggest cacheing (which I used so speed up an SSD system disk) is now having no effect.
Attachments
PrimoCache Benchmarks.zip
Zip file of 4 CrystalDiskMark screen shots
(147.1 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Massive performance drop from v8

Post by Support »

Do you have a screenshot of PrimoCache settings?
JeremyP99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JeremyP99 »

Here you go. The same, I think, as I used for FancyCache.
Attachments
PrimoCacheSettings.JPG
PrimoCacheSettings.JPG (109.99 KiB) Viewed 6498 times
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Hi JeremyP99,

Thank you for the information.

As you only set up 128MB memory as cache while the test length is >128MB, the bad result is expected. I don't think FancyCache has a better result. You may test FancyCache again with same settings (128MB memory, 4KB block size, 10s defer-write)
JeremyP99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JeremyP99 »

Cheers - where will I find Fancy Cache, as it is no longer on the website I think?

Also, there seems to be no way to edit your settings once defined - so you have to remove the current caching setup and instate a new one, which is a rather long way round

Also, there is still no option to close to the system tray, which this program really needs.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

FancyCache (volume) can be downloaded from the following link. http://www.romexsoftware.cm/download/be ... .Setup.zip
JeremyP99 wrote:there seems to be no way to edit your settings once defined - so you have to remove the current caching setup and instate a new one, which is a rather long way round
We'll improve it later. Thanks.
JeremyP99 wrote:there is still no option to close to the system tray, which this program really needs.
Actually it is not very necessary to close to the system tray. Cache keeps working even you close/exit the PrimoCache GUI window or restart the computer. Anyway, later we'll provide an option to close to the system tray.
JeremyP99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JeremyP99 »

Cheers - changing the memory cache up to 2048 hugely improved the performance. Great stuff - keep up the good work, and thanks for the tip on closing it down.