L2 cache occasionally clears on its own Topic is solved

Found a bug? Report here
gregfreemyer
Level 3
Level 3

L2 cache occasionally clears on its own

Post by gregfreemyer »

PrimoCache version: 2.7.3
Cache Settings:L1 64192 MB / L2 1907 GB / Gather Interval 1 / Block Size 64 KB Cache Strategy read-data & write-data / Defer-Write - 300 Sec
Windows OS: Win 8.1
Hardware Information (CPU/Motherboard/Memory/Harddisks): Intel i7-5820 / AsRock x99 / 128 GB / USB-3 external volumes being cached
Description:L2 cache occasionally clears on its own

In this latest occurrence, I had 7 USB-3 volumes being cached. The cache is 2 TB and approximately 1.5 TB of the cache was filled.

After an application error in a program that leverages the cache, the full L2 cache had been cleared.

I found nothing relevant in the event logs. In particular, no hardware errors were logged.

=== details ==

This is on Windows 8.1 PC fully patched with Microsoft patches.

I use a M.2 NVME SSD as a L2 cache with multiple USB-3 drives as the volumes being cached.

I upgraded to v2.7.3 on July 13, 2017 in hopes of eliminating an issue where the L2 cache would occasionally clear without user action. Typically over a weekend, or overnight.

Since then, I have not had an issue. I've done several test reboots, as well as normal operational activities and there have been no issues.

This afternoon, my L2 cache just cleared for no apparent reason. I did reboot the PC around 12:50 PM EDT (per the event logs), but I confirmed the cache was valid after the reboot.

After the reboot I ran a process that accessed roughly 500 GB of the L2 cache. I was observing the PrimoCache UI and happened to note how much data was accessed. Easy since the counter was reset to zero by the reboot.

At 4:54 PM, one of my main applications had an application error (per the event logs) and terminated abruptly.

I restarted the application and noted it was running slower than normal. I checked the PrimoCache UI, and it showed the L2 cache was effectively empty.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: L2 cache occasionally clears on its own

Post by Jaga »

Have you run the necessary hardware tests to ensure the underlying equipment isn't at fault? Memory tests, stress tests, disk tests, etc. I always start there if there isn't clear indication in logs.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Is there any bugcheck report in Windows event logs? Or, is there any minidump file in Windows\Minidump folder? I suspect there was a crash during the computer reboot.
If no crash found, perhaps you may try the 3.0 beta which has some improvements and might have fixed this problem.
gregfreemyer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gregfreemyer »

Nothing in the eventlogs

My Cache is once again empty (a surprise since it went over a month the last time). Not sure when it happened, I wasn't using the system much the last couple days.

I have 2 files in the C:\Windows\minidump folder. I don't know if they are related. Aug 28 and Aug 30 dates

Is there a way I can figure it out.

Is it likely the 3.0 beta will be helpful?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

3.0 beta has some improvements on this problem. I think you may try it and then see if the problem still exists or not.
Many thanks!
gregfreemyer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gregfreemyer »

I uninstalled Primocache and was still able to reproduce the issue of USB-3 devices dissappearing.

Obviously it isn't a Primocache issue. If anyone has more general troubleshooting advice, I'd love to hear it.

My first effort is to directly connect my drives to the MB, instead of via a PCIe Gigabyte expansion card I was using.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

I guess start with the obvious question: have you excluded the USB devices from power saving mode? Try a high performance profile where USB is set not to suspend.
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

fyi. Sometime it could be a hardware issue where it does not have enough current delivered to the USB 3 thumb drive if you have an older laptop. Even when you have refresh your OS and it does the same thing, it the USB port being worn out.