Can too much Caching Affect the SSD Life?

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
rockz3r
Level 4
Level 4

Can too much Caching Affect the SSD Life?

Post by rockz3r »

Like for example i make a 100GB L2 cache of my 250 GB ssd for my HDD , and install OS on the other partition of SSD. Now , i keep on playing lots of games like this week i m playing some set of 3-4 games, next weeka different set , can something like this harm the life of SSD? Due to too many writes? I mean the most accessed files being written to SSD? DOes it harm the ssd and affects its life?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Can too much Caching Affect the SSD Life?

Post by Support »

SSD life is measured by TBW. So usually yes, too many writes to SSD will reduce SSD life.
If L2 Cache is set for read cache only, you may monitor the PrimoCache statistics "L2Storage Write" which indicates how many bytes written to SSD in current Windows boot.
rockz3r
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rockz3r »

support wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:02 pm SSD life is measured by TBW. So usually yes, too many writes to SSD will reduce SSD life.
If L2 Cache is set for read cache only, you may monitor the PrimoCache statistics "L2Storage Write" which indicates how many bytes written to SSD in current Windows boot.
I have set the slider of L2 settings 100% to read , does that mean its read only? Because in the details area it shows Strategy : Read & Write . But the only way it becomes only Read is when I disable my L1 cache or take the slider of L1 cache settings to 100% read , should i do either of these? If yes , which one . Also my SSD has 80TBW rating and its 240GB .
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

rockz3r wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:55 am I have set the slider of L2 settings 100% to read , does that mean its read only?
Yes.

The strategy value in the detail area is taking both L1 and L2 into account. So if you have L1 and L1 is set to read & write, then the final strategy is read & write, even L2 is read only.
ferrari
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ferrari »

i'm using a small 1Gb write only L1 cache to prevent needing to read/write to my 200Gb L2 ssd cache at the same time. Increases performance and reduces wear on the SSD a bit, not that I think SSD wear is something to worry about.