What should be Optimal Settings for Gaming on this Specs?

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
Nick7
Level 5
Level 5

Re: What should be Optimal Settings for Gaming on this Specs?

Post by Nick7 »

L2 cache works basically with LRU algorithm. Basically - when filling up, all reads from HDD are 'copied' to L2.
When L2 is full, data that is used last (or not used) is replaced with new data that is used.

64GB cache is generally enough for several games. However, copying lots of stuff around on drive will push out cached data out of L2. So if you tend to copy some archive, decompress, or do similar stuff on that disk/partition that is cached - it will push out cached part of games you run.

Also keep in mind - even if game is 50GB big, not all data is loaded immediately, and not all data is in L2, it's data that is loaded (or more precise, parts of) as you progress thru game.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

rockz3r wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:28 pmwow my 65 gb cache is full xd , guess i should delete this and make a new 120gb one? anyway , does the game that i stop playing , do their cache get replaced by the ones i play currently? ofc given i have run it few times to be stored in cache.
The cache will get repopulated with the blocks that Primocache is requested to deliver the most. So if you play a game for a week, and it fully populates, then you switch to another game, it will take a little time for the old game's blocks to be cleared out and replaced by the new game's blocks. It's all about frequency of use, and Primocache gives priority to those that are most frequently accessed. You could raise your L2 size if any one game is completely filling it yes, though 65GB is probably enough for any single game.

To help repopulate the cache with a new game, launch it, play it a little, close it. Then repeat the process several more times. It helps reinforce Primocache's frequency algorithm for the new game's blocks.

rockz3r wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:31 pmso i tried doing that and out of the 4 games i tested , 3 had a difference of 20-25 sec to start / load and one game had just 1 sec ~ which i believe was probably because my cache is full and its not being stored in the L2 ? Or should it go in the l2 in place of the old games?
See my above comments about frequency on blocks. :) It's harder to force older but far more frequently used blocks out of the cache, unless you either 1) Force-clear the cache manually, or 2) Run the current game many times in succession, to let Primocache know that's more important to hold on to.

We (the community) would still like to see a "manual load into cache" context menu entry in Explorer for Primocache, so we can specify what should be placed in there without the load/reload process. But Romex has acknowledged the request, and are considering it. For now - just run the latest game several times or more over, or if you don't mind 1 or 2 slow loads, clear the cache manually and then start playing the new game. It will speed up in short order.

Nick7 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:45 pm L2 cache works basically with LRU algorithm. Basically - when filling up, all reads from HDD are 'copied' to L2.
When L2 is full, data that is used last (or not used) is replaced with new data that is used.
I've always understood it was a frequency algorithm. Most accessed blocks take priority. But perhaps Support could chime in and let us know if that's true, and if it holds true for both the L1 and L2 caches (they could use different algorithms).
Nick7
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Nick7 »

Well, did some tests.
It does indeed seem to be simple LRU algorithm, but there seems to be a bug in it too. Once data that was in cache falls out of it, it cannot get cached again. Will open a ticket about it.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

Thanks Nick.