SSD Cache with 1TB HDD Sounds good for gaming?

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
rockz3r
Level 4
Level 4

SSD Cache with 1TB HDD Sounds good for gaming?

Post by rockz3r »

So pretty much what my title says , planning on partitioning my 240gb ssd , to a 60gb as L2 cache using primocache and remaining for storage. Sounds good, or should i add more/less cache? Also ,can it harm my SSD life?
Also where to install OS , on the unused SSD partition or the tiered storage of ssd+hdd?
All i care about is fast windows boot and system snappiness and fast game loads .
Specs :
R5 1600 3.8ghz OC
Asus B350 F Strix
8GBX2 DDR4 3000Mhz Trident Z
KIngston A400 SATA 3 240GB SSD
Toshiba 7200RPM HDD
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: SSD Cache with 1TB HDD Sounds good for gaming?

Post by Jaga »

60GB is probably large enough that it won't have any longevity issues.

How much data is that 60GB going to be caching? Not the size of the disk it caches, but the actual volume of data. I try to keep my L2 volume around 10% of the total data to be cached. So for a 60GB L2, you wouldn't want to have much more than 600GB of data on the HDD, or you may start to see hit rates drop.
rockz3r
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rockz3r »

Jaga wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:11 pm 60GB is probably large enough that it won't have any longevity issues.

How much data is that 60GB going to be caching? Not the size of the disk it caches, but the actual volume of data. I try to keep my L2 volume around 10% of the total data to be cached. So for a 60GB L2, you wouldn't want to have much more than 600GB of data on the HDD, or you may start to see hit rates drop.
Thanks for the reply and mostly my HDD stays like 400-500gb full , so yes , 60gb will be enough i guess , coz as u said 10% of waht u are using.
rockz3r
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rockz3r »

rockz3r wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:37 pm
Jaga wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:11 pm 60GB is probably large enough that it won't have any longevity issues.

Thanks for the reply and mostly my HDD stays like 400-500gb full , so yes , 60gb will be enough i guess , coz as u said 10% of waht u are using.
Also , where should i install OS? The other 180Gb~ of the ssd or the hdd+ssd tiered partition?
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

If you install the OS to the SSD, it will of course be faster natively. But it won't be cached as part of the L2 contents, which may be a good thing in your case. It frees up your L2 to cache the rest of your data without contention, and ensures your OS files will always be as fast as possible.
rockz3r
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rockz3r »

Jaga wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:07 am If you install the OS to the SSD, it will of course be faster natively. But it won't be cached as part of the L2 contents, which may be a good thing in your case. It frees up your L2 to cache the rest of your data without contention, and ensures your OS files will always be as fast as possible.
Exactly what i was thinking, but then i thought , i will turn on my pc daily so it will be used almost always, that means it will stay in the l2 cache always, right? Also , is it true that cache is cleared if ur pc crashes?
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

There's no guarantee boot files will stay in the cache, though "frequency of use" is the factor that does the deciding.

And yes, usually when the machine bluescreens/crashes the L2 will be marked dirty, and probably flushed. I've seen scenarios where it isn't, but I've seen more where it is. Having a stable machine is key to keeping a persistent cache.