L2 cache lost (wiped) on crash

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
MrCache
Level 3
Level 3

L2 cache lost (wiped) on crash

Post by MrCache »

So, I had a crash in Windows when messing around with updating graphics card drivers, which led to Windows rebooting. Nothing major, BUT, my entire L2 cache was wiped and reset, and now it will have to be built up again from scratch. I'm not sure if the crash actually happened because of the graphics card, or if it fact was PrimoCache that crashed, or something else completly.

Is this normal behavior, that if I get a crash in Windows for whatever reason, the L2 cache might/will reset?
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: L2 cache lost (wiped) on crash

Post by Jaga »

That's fairly normal. Primocache has "consistency checking", where after a crash if it can't be certain if the cache content matches the drive content (it becomes 'dirty') it will reset cache contents and start fresh.

I usually pause the cache when doing system level maintenance, just in case. I've never had Primocache be the cause of a bluescreen, so it's likely it was the drivers you were updating that were the problem.
MrCache
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MrCache »

Late reply from me - thanks for your answer.

So, a game crashed for me causing a reboot, and I got my second wipe of my entire cache. Most annoying, isn't there a way to prevent this from happening? :(
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

Usually if an App crashes in Windows 8/10, it won't crash the OS. If it does, it may be causing hardware issues like overheating, which would be enough sometimes to crash the system. You might want to monitor hardware temps (CPU/GPU) while playing and see if any are near the thermal limits.

You can also run stress testers on the CPU (Prime95) and GPU (Kombustor) to see if either of those systems are weak in any way, or prone to overheating.

Lastly, it could be a driver problem, so make sure those are all up to date.

I can't remember the last time I had a BSOD or hardware failure, and haven't ever had one because of a game or app. Running on W10 64-bit with recent hardware.