L2 Cache not working

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
AlexByrth
Level 3
Level 3

L2 Cache not working

Post by AlexByrth »

Hi!
I use Primocache my 3 PC (all registered, of course), but I'm having issues with one of then.

I'm trying to set a 256GB SSD as L2 Cache, but seems there is not much data been written over there.
The only parameter I have is the Gather interval, but it has low or not impact at all.
So it has very low cache hit, less the 4%.
I use 4Gb as L1 cache, defer write of 10 sec,
Last edited by AlexByrth on Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cichy45
Level 4
Level 4

Re: L2 Cache not working

Post by cichy45 »

You should provide a bit more info. Your hit rate can be low in two scenarios:
1) You gave big volume and small cache (like 20TB HDD volume and 256GB SSD that you mentioned)
2) You try caching files that you read only once. Caching works best for files that are read often, like games or small music library that you play multiple times. It will not work great for movies that you watch only once.

Every caching software has to "learn" what file you will need, and I guess one way PrimoCache is doing it is by monitoring how frequently you use every bit of data (as it is block-level, so it can cache 50% of one file, it does not have do cache whole file). I doubt is has any prediction mechanism that would cache files in advance before you read them.
AlexByrth
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AlexByrth »

Hi,
Actually this is recent window 10 install, with less than 200mb of space used in HD.

And I'm not try to cache specific files, just normal use of Primocache.
cichy45
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cichy45 »

To verify if cache is working you can download program called "H2Testw", test small part of cached volume (like 1024MB) and check "Endless Verify". It will read test file in loop until you cancel so PrimoCache should cache it if it is working properly. You will notice it by increased read speed and increased hit rate.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

@AlexByrth, could you upload a screenshot of your PrimoCache main dialog showing cache configuration and cache statistics for our reference?
Thanks.
AlexByrth
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AlexByrth »

Sorry for this late reply.
After a Windows update which crashed my OS (that infamous April's Update), I didn't set up PrimoCache back, yet.
But in my other PC primocache is running perfectly fine.