Setup advice

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
johnsutter71
Level 1
Level 1

Setup advice

Post by johnsutter71 »

I am currently running 2 RAID 0 drives using HDD's, 7 & 10TB's. I have 2 500gb Samsung 840 evo's that I can use for caching. Would it make since to RAID 0 the 840 evo's first using RST and then set it up for L2 storage or set them up as individual drives? I understand that if I set up the 840's for RAID 0 in RST then I won't be able OP them in Magician. My next question concerns cache settings if any for the HDD's in RST. Should I leave those settings alone?
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Setup advice

Post by Jaga »

I wouldn't use RST for RAID, just personal preference based on prior experience. If your CPU is semi-recent (last 5 years), the performance hit from soft RAID 0 through Disk Manager is negligible, and should still allow you to use Samsung Magician to see the drives.

You can definitely use the two SSDs in soft RAID 0 for a L2 though. The max size for a L2 volume is 2TB, which you'd be under.
johnsutter71
Level 1
Level 1

Post by johnsutter71 »

RST is embedded in my BIOS so their's really no better options to build my arrays. Aside from that I'm about to ditch primocache.. The reason is because half way between copying large files, 200gb or more from an SSD to my RAID arrays the software tends to lock up or I get blue screens.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

You should still be able to switch the controller from RAID to AHCI mode. Then make sure RST software is uninstalled in Windows (leaving the driver installed is okay). Setup the array using Windows Disk Management, then run Samsung Magician to see if it can still see the drives - it should be able to.

That also gives Windows 10 the ability to issue TRIM commands, since it doesn't have to go through hardware RAID, which is beneficial.