Dual Boot Question; Potential Issues/Concern? Topic is solved

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
DecisivelyNumb
Level 1
Level 1

Dual Boot Question; Potential Issues/Concern?

Post by DecisivelyNumb »

I'm needing to dual boot my PC for some troubleshooting. Currently I have a dedicated cache drive caching all my internal HDDs. If I dual boot and access read/write directly from the HDDs will it cause issues with PrimoCache when switching back to the primary OS? If I access a file that's been cached will I get an older outdated file?

Would I be better off taking the time to completely disable PrimoCache, then rebuild it after the troubleshooting?

Basic setup info:
Windows 10 installed on an NVME SSD - Not cached
NVME 250gb SSD - Dedicated for primocache
Several HDDs - all cache enabled
Dual boot - secondary SSD with access, but no knowledge of other OS/Primocache config.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Dual Boot Question; Potential Issues/Concern?

Post by Jaga »

Usually when offline changes are made to the volume that is cached, Primocache marks it as 'dirty' and flushes the cache completely at boot time for safety. Manually pausing the cache before shutdown and then manually restarting it after rebooting may help it cope with any changes to the drive, but I've never tested that scenario. Support could better answer I think.
DecisivelyNumb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DecisivelyNumb »

Thanks for the reply, having it marked as dirty and rebuilding the cache automatically would be fine to me. A little inconvenient but sounds like no long lasting issues would come from it.
florin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by florin »

I have 3x250GB SSDs in raid 0 (got them over time, quite cheap).

Volume looks like in the attachment, should I adjust the sizes more?

Cheers.
Attachments
gg.jpg
gg.jpg (48.32 KiB) Viewed 3820 times
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

5% is really the minimum you want for garbage collection to run decently. It looks like you've set it for less than 1%, which (depending on how full the drive gets) isn't a lot of space to work with.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

@DecisivelyNumb, PrimoCache cannot detect "offline modification". You need to check the option "Volatile Cache Contents" first in the L2 Advanced Settings, before you shutdown/restart and switch to another OS. Thus on the next boot to this OS, L2 will automatically be reset to avoid possible "out of sync" issues.
Of course, you need to uncheck the option if next time you still boot to this OS and want L2 cache persistent.

See the link below for your reference.
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=4647#p12698