FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
jonesc
Level 1
Level 1

Setup Advise

Post by jonesc »

Hi

I’m running on a windows Server 2016 inside a VM for testing

Server has 50gb Windows c: drive (on host SSD)

It also has a 120gb disk d: (on host HD) for Plex database.

Last drive is a 10gb (On Host SSD) for a web server

Vm has been given 16b RAM.

Host has 32gb of ram and 2x500gb SSD and 2x 2tb disks which can be utilised anyway needed.

How could you utilise to get best bang for buck in this VM?
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Re: Setup Advise

Post by InquiringMind »

You don't mention your host OS, but if it is a version of Windows, then you have a choice of running PrimoCache on the host OS (to speed up disk access generally) or within the guest (to speed up the VM only). Best advice here is really to assess your maximum memory usage with the VM (either using Task Manager or a more capable tool like Process Hacker or Process Explorer). Then subtract that from your 16GB (I presume the 16b above was a typo...), subtract another 1-2GB to give yourself a safety margin and allocate the remainder to PrimoCache L1.

Set that L1 up to cache all 3 drives to start with (c:, d:, web server) and review the PrimoCache statistics to check how heavily each drive is used. Once you identify the most heavily used/cached drive, you may wish to consider adjusting cache setup to give it a larger cache (e.g. by deleting your existing cache task for all drives and creating a new one just for the heavily used drive).

This does leave a lot of spare SSD capacity which you could use for a L2 cache but I would favour relocating your most frequently used data (e.g. Plex database indexes, web server logs) onto SSD directly.