4gb ram system Topic is solved

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
Adz
Level 4
Level 4

4gb ram system

Post by Adz »

how much should i allocate for a win7 64bit 4gb ram system? would appreciate some recommendation

cheers
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: 4gb ram system

Post by Jaga »

W7 doesn't need a ton of memory to run in, so you could safely get away with a 1GB L1 cache. Depending on what apps you run, you might be able to increase that to 1.5 or even 2. Best thing to do is a clean boot, then take a look at Available physical memory in the Task Manager. Don't try to use it all - some will be cached by Windows (the stat above it).

Trial and error will be your best bet, since everyone runs different apps. Start low at 1GB, and if you have extra memory free at all times, you can bump it up a little and keep an eye on it.
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

Windows does do its own file-caching, and that file cache will shrink and free up memory for other applications if needed, whereas PrimoCache will not. So for systems that are relatively limited in memory, I'd suggest not bothering with PrimoCache at all and just letting Windows do its stuff.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

InquiringMind wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:31 pm Windows does do its own file-caching, and that file cache will shrink and free up memory for other applications if needed, whereas PrimoCache will not. So for systems that are relatively limited in memory, I'd suggest not bothering with PrimoCache at all and just letting Windows do its stuff.
Normally I'd agree, except that I have a server still running W7 Pro, and the addition of Primocache to it made a *world* of difference in how it runs. It just has to finish the prefetch, and it is quite a bit faster afterwards. Granted - it has much more memory than 4GB, but even 1GB can make a measurable difference with a spinner drive. Windows just doesn't have an efficient or well-performing disk cache.