How much L2 cache? Backups?

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
RAMbo
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How much L2 cache? Backups?

Post by RAMbo »

So the backups also serve as something raid-0 like?
If so things are getting really interesting because right now my backups only take time and space. But if my backups also give me a speed boost then .... well... wow!

Combine that with PrimoCache and things get really fast.

The only thing that's less good than my current backups, is when I accidentally delete something it''s just gone with DrivePool and not with a classic backup method.
Last edited by RAMbo on Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

Yep, speeds get pretty darn good.

And yes - that's why I don't rely on just file duplication across the drives. I still have the SnapRAID parity I made the night before so I can restore a file if needed. It's not a true backup, but it's lightweight and easy on space.

True backups are still a good idea, or at the least some sort of parity.
RAMbo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by RAMbo »

Jaga wrote:On my workstation I currently have a 20GB L1, and 20GB Primo Ramdisk for temp files and smaller software installs (OS has 64GB total). Going to be sourcing two 1TB SSDs for use in a L2 (RAID 0 stripe) against the new Stablebit Drivepool I setup (88TB total)..
Yesterday I was searching for RAID cards and found a little beast you may like. A PCIe card that holds 4 M.2 SSDs. Cheapest place I found so far is New Egg at $100.

http://www.thessdreview.com/raid-enterp ... 932k-iops/

The downside is that the motherboard needs special functionality to for the card to reach full speed.
motherboards that support PCIe bifurcation, where the PCIe 3.0 X16 interface can be split to accommodate each of the 4 SSDs in their own 4 lane sector (X4X4X4X4 vice X16)
It may be abit of a overkill to get a new motherboard for this. As for me, right now I'm selecting components for a new system so I think I go that way.
Considering the decent (high throughput and iops) M.2 cards start at 128GB (but 256 is way faster) my L2 cache would outperform my system disk in both speed and size. Over time PrimoCache will copy my whole systemdisk to L2. That sounds a bit backwards.
That way the System disk basically is just a backup of a striped raid. :-)
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

Yeah, a bit overkill, but funny to think of that as a solution. I suppose if you couldn't accept anything except blinding speed 100% of the time for high read/write ops, then it might fit the bill. Certainly better to simply RAID 0 those M.2's and clone them every x hours to SSD storage, then plop on a large Primocache L1 on top of them. Or just get a motherboard that can handle huge amounts of RAM and use Primo RAMdisk for virtually everything.
tyraelmetanamede
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tyraelmetanamede »

if you want to automatically pause and resume your backups, i created a small tool to do that:

https://www.romexsoftware.com/bbs2/en-u ... 38&p=13264