Primocache best settings? Topic is solved

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
Adz
Level 4
Level 4

Primocache best settings?

Post by Adz »

Hello,

What write mode is best for multitasking performance? I'm currently using intelligent mode. Also does block size really matter how high or low i set it?

Cheers!
gotterdammerungly
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Primocache best settings?

Post by gotterdammerungly »

Smaller block sizes are more efficient (i.e. you waste more memory space with larger block sizes) but slightly more cpu is used, and overhead for L2 cache rises dramatically with decreasing block size. Why not just go with whatever Primocache auto-suggests when you set up the cache?
Adz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adz »

I would but i'd like the settings best for my pc.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

There's no simple rule to say which write mode is the best. It's up to the level-1 cache size, latency, disk data write amount and your goal. If your L1 cache size is not much, don't set a big latency. For general scenario, you may just set it to 10 seconds. And you may use the "native" or the "intelligent" write mode.
Adz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adz »

support wrote:There's no simple rule to say which write mode is the best. It's up to the level-1 cache size, latency, disk data write amount and your goal. If your L1 cache size is not much, don't set a big latency. For general scenario, you may just set it to 10 seconds. And you may use the "native" or the "intelligent" write mode.
Can the latency go any lower than 10?

Native and Intelligent better then the others?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Adz wrote:Can the latency go any lower than 10?
Sure, of course.
Adz wrote:Native and Intelligent better then the others?
Each write mode has its usage goal. No one is better or worse than the others. But if you're not sure about these write modes, you may just use the native or intelligent for the general scenario.
fakel
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fakel »

support wrote:Each write mode has its usage goal.
Can I find out what modes should be used to detail the different scenarios? Thank you.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

@fakel, you may check the definitions of these modes in the following help page.
http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/prim ... on.html#dw
Generally speaking, the "Average" mode is used in the environment where disks have heavy writings. For other modes you may just refer to their definitions.