Looking for advice on optimisation

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
ianmozzy
Level 3
Level 3

Looking for advice on optimisation

Post by ianmozzy »

Hello there
I have been using a similar software product called velossd. It works well but it is very limited in the options.
It is ssd caching software.
My setup has 2 x 60 GB SSD in raid 0 and its fairly fast. They are 60GB Kingston v300 drives. I use them for OS and cache so run them hard. One failed recently but are inexpensive to replace. I always make sure everything is backed up of course.

I am trying out the trail version of primocache and looking to find the ideal setup for speed.

The strip size for the SSD raid setup is 32k. I can change this and reimage the drive if necessary.
My PC has 16 GB of DDR3 1600
The computer has windows 7 home premium.

I have setup two caches at the moment.
The first is 2GB ram only to speed up the 60 GB partition with the OS. Block size 64K, cache strategy is read data only and prefech last cache (not start at windows boot).

The second cache used 4GB RAM as Level 1 cache, L2 storage of 53GB of the ssd raid drive. The blocksize is 256k. Cache strategy is read only and Prefetch last cache is set - again not start at windows boot.
It is caching a large partition of games. The drive is 2 x 1TB drives in raid 0 with 128k strip size.

I have tried to make the block sizes and strip sizes sensible. Testing all options will be extremely time consuming.

Can someone provide any advice?