What is the best use for my system

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
Vladvale
Level 1
Level 1

What is the best use for my system

Post by Vladvale »

Hi,

I have a laptop running on Windows 10 with 6gb of ram, a mSata with 24gb and a 500 gb HD. I am currently using ~2 gb to L1 cache and all the ssd to L2 cache (r&w, 4k blocks, a lot of overhead, but i am not running into problems because of that). I am not sure if this is right configuration, but my laptop had a huge boost after I installed it.
I am planning on an upgrade: 2gb more of ram and an 250 gb ssd where I will install my os e most of my programs. The older HD will be used to keep docs, photos, etc.
I am plnaning to create 2 tasks for primocache once all is installed. One L1 only to cache my new ssd and another L2 only task to use my mSata to cache the HD. Is this a good idea? Or once I installed the ssd I should just give up Primocache and instead leave more free ram? How much L1 and L2 cache should I use? What about r&w and block size?

Off topic: I will use a caddy to replace my optical drive. Should I place the ssd there or switch its place with the HDD? Some people say that the later is preferable, others that it doesn't matter and I've also heard that the ssd should go to the optical drive because it is more resistent to shocks. Any idea?

Thanks in advance for your opinion.