Failed to start cache! Topic is solved

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
Raki
Level 2
Level 2

Failed to start cache!

Post by Raki »

Hi,

my computer has 16GB, from which about 13GB are shown as free. However, the maximum size I can assign to a disk cache is 2048MB. Whenever I try to assign a higher value I get the message "Failed to start cache! This is usually caused to insufficient system resources. You may choose a larger value for the block size and then try again." Following this advise doesn't help at all. RamMap screenshot attached and any advise strongly appreciated. :D
Attachments
RAMMAP.png
RAMMAP.png (92.51 KiB) Viewed 6256 times
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Failed to start cache!

Post by Support »

You may increase the block size.
Raki
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Raki »

As mentioned, this doesn't help, even when going up to 512KB. Still the same error message. Only when using no more than 2048 MB of RAM, it works.
CrypEd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by CrypEd »

About 12 Gigs of your RAM is exactly not free but "zeroed".Please look again, free is black colored and tells you ~17megabyte. I don't know if that is the reason, but I have same amount (16GB) and I never had a problem creating a Primo-Cache drive and for me only little amount ever is zeroed. While it tells you it is "unused" it still does not mean that it is "usABLE" or "free"... it is not!

You need either standby or free ram. If you sum both up in your case, you only have ~ 1,5 GB left, no wonder.

This is how it looks for me with PrimoCache already running:
rammap.jpg
rammap.jpg (175.74 KiB) Viewed 6232 times
No idea what the hell created a 12GB-zeroed unused usage for you, sry.
You should close any other running cahche/ram-drive and click on "Empty" > "Empty working set", at least this reduces mine zeroed-mem to a minimum.

If that does not help, probably one of your running applications got a mem-leak.

Is the OS 64bit?
Raki
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Raki »

Thanks for your suggestion. Yes, it's Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I wonder if there is a way to determine, what "zeroes" all this memory? In the ordinary resource monitor there is nothing interesting to see.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (78.76 KiB) Viewed 6223 times
CrypEd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by CrypEd »

Really strange dude,

Please check the same process list also sorted with "Commit", "Shareable" and "Private". Is there any abnormaly?
Also please show a shot of the performance task-planer page:
taskplaner.jpg
taskplaner.jpg (117.38 KiB) Viewed 6220 times
Sry for german :D

Do you have swap file enabled. If not, you could give it a try with low size, I recommend it with high mem still, I got 512mb, also I had it on 128mb working good.

Another chance is to try disabling all start-up-programms in the msconfig and reboot to maybe find a way to localice the causing problem if it is caused by third party.
CrypEd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by CrypEd »

And im Really sry that I gave the wrong RAMMap hint, to trim down zeroed unused space it is "Menu: Empty > Priority 0 Standby List". You can try the other Empty option also, depending on what the freak is causing this.

Please tell us if nothing helped or if you found the solution or the causing factum.... thanks.
CrypEd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by CrypEd »

When i cclick through all of the RAMMap Empty-option i came to a comparable result:
modified,jpg.jpg
modified,jpg.jpg (148.91 KiB) Viewed 6217 times
But strangely i can acces the unused data:
stillworks.jpg
stillworks.jpg (200.8 KiB) Viewed 6217 times
Ss i guess I was wrong when telling generally that it is not free and that it indeed is free. Also works without a problem with 2400MB cache size for me.
Raki
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Raki »

Thanks for all your support, guys! :)

Yes, swapfile is switched on - 16GB should be more than I ever need.
Attachments
resource commit.png
resource commit.png (208.68 KiB) Viewed 6190 times
taskmanager1.png
taskmanager1.png (42.75 KiB) Viewed 6190 times
swapfile.png
swapfile.png (40.79 KiB) Viewed 6190 times
Raki
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Raki »