Failed to start cache! Topic is solved

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
CrypEd
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Failed to start cache!

Post by CrypEd »

I don't mean to get screenshots of all of the process-sorts, just wantet to know if something is eating up 12 gB ;)

I have no idea whats causing the strange RAMMap screen and the PrimoCache create error, sry. All looking good.

Microsoft recommends you using a 16-GB swap file with your 16-GB. While that might be a correct recommendation when you excessevily need +16GB-RAM, I thing for the most people that bought 16GB, 16GB will be all they ever need. Altough windows uses the swap file (~64-128mb) even if there's no task exceeding 16GB or enough RAM is free, so diabling is may not be good.

Seeing you have a 16GB SWAP file gives you 31GB available ;)

Can you show the exact error message, when you try to create a PrimoCache?

Did you tried clean msconfig-startup, becuase I think your overall handles, threads and processes look quite high for me? Not that this is a problem, but maybe it helps to find the root of the cause.
Raki
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Raki »

The error message is exactly this:
"Failed to start cache! This is usually caused to insufficient system resources. You may choose a larger value for the block size and then try again."

I tried it with a Safe boot initiated by msconfig but apart from having even more zeroed RAM, nothing changed. I couldn't use more than 2048 MB as well.
Attachments
rammap safe start.png
rammap safe start.png (29.74 KiB) Viewed 6610 times
Raki
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Raki »

I've tried the same on a different laptop (Windows 7 64 Enterprise, 16GRB RAM) and I get exactly the same behaviour. So it seems this error is kind of reproducable. I hope, Romex is interested to solve this issue.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Well, this issue is really weird. Atucally it's the first time that we cannot solve the "Failed to start cache" error by increasing block size. I think later we may send you a debug version to get more information. Thank you.
Raki
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Raki »

I am definitely interested to help you solving this issue. :)
sefilho
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sefilho »

Hello, I'm going through the same problem

And I have 16GB of RAM here
Windows 10 HOME
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

@sefilho, do you use the latest version? It's a very old issue and I don't think we still have this issue if cache configuration is correct.
Make sure that you choose destination volumes that you want to speed up, not the L2 volume, in the "Choose Volume" wizard page.
If you still have the problem, please upload screenshots of each creation wizard page with your selections.
sefilho
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sefilho »

Hello
really was a wrong setup on my part, I was putting the local disk duplicate. Thank you for your help
sefilho
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sefilho »

Does the app need to be started every time?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »