Caching an SD Card - Wrong use case? Topic is solved

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
gessert
Level 1
Level 1

Caching an SD Card - Wrong use case?

Post by gessert »

Good evening,

I recently started the PrimoCache Trial and I'm observing weird behaviour, which I'd like someone to enlighten me on.

I have a 500GB SSD (M.2 and quick) and a slow 500GB SD Card (something around 60MB/s). I'm primarily using the system for games. Since the SSD storage is rather limited, I figured putting the games on the SD Card and creating a caching partition on the SSD is the best way to use the tool. I currently only play one game, which is about 10GB in size. The caching partition is about 60GB. I have loaded the game and played on the same map roughly 5~ times, with reboots in between, which leads to about 1GB of data being read.

Here's the problem:
I only see PrimoCache hitting the cache around 0.2%. I had one gaming session, where the hitrate was around 70%, but wasn't able to reproduce the result.

Is there something I'm misunderstanding, or is there a problem?
Cache Result.PNG
Cache Result.PNG (265.76 KiB) Viewed 2710 times
Cache Config.PNG
Cache Config.PNG (235.65 KiB) Viewed 2710 times
Thank you for your time
gessert
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Caching an SD Card - Wrong use case?

Post by gessert »

Good evening again,

I have found the issue. The L2 cache persisted through reboots, but not shutdowns. The windows logs revealed a problem with Windows's own Fastboot feature. PrimoCache's sync check failed and reset the cache, as it should. My current "solution" is to disable Windows's Fastboot. The enhancement in boot time is negligible anyway, so I will probably not bother with trying to fix it.

Since the problem is with my windows installation and not PrimoCache, this topic can be closed.

Thank you for your time.