L1/L2 No Differed Write Topic is solved

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
MaddBomber83
Level 2
Level 2

L1/L2 No Differed Write

Post by MaddBomber83 »

Hello;

What happens in the cache with the below configuration? I have L1/L2 enabled, but I do not have Defer-Write checked.

In practice, both the L1 and L2 cache get used.

Edit: What happens with a sudden power loss?

Thank you in advance!
MaddBomber83 Settings
MaddBomber83 Settings
2017-04-10.png (24.53 KiB) Viewed 4853 times
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: L1/L2 No Differed Write

Post by Support »

I'm sorry for the late reply!
Without Defer-Write on, you won't get data-loss on sudden power loss or windows crash/hang. For more details, please see
http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/prim ... q.html#q11
MaddBomber83
Level 2
Level 2

HDD Boot with L1/L2

Post by MaddBomber83 »

Awesome Support; if I may push down a different path.

I have licenses for all the computers in my house. I'm still testing the different configurations on my computer before doing it to all. As part of that I want to minimize extra visible drives.

Would it make any sense to install everything on a large HDD and use an SSD entirely as the L2 Cache? (alternative is to install OS on SSD, but that gives 2 drives).

Second, using both a L1 and L2 without deffer write should suffer no additional data corruption risk. Still a single drive supported by SSD maxed as L2; the L1 will still increase the overall performance of the system?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

MaddBomber83 wrote:Would it make any sense to install everything on a large HDD and use an SSD entirely as the L2 Cache? (alternative is to install OS on SSD, but that gives 2 drives).
Speed: SSD > L2 > HDD.
So for best performance, I'd recommend the solution that partitioning the SSD, installing OS on one SSD partition and using another SSD partition as level-2 cache for HDDs.
Of course, if you already have everything on the HDD and don't want to reinstall Windows, you may just use SSD as level-2 cache to speed up the existing system.
MaddBomber83 wrote:Second, using both a L1 and L2 without deffer write should suffer no additional data corruption risk. Still a single drive supported by SSD maxed as L2; the L1 will still increase the overall performance of the system?

Yes, L1 still will increase the performance if you have spare memory space.
BonzaiDuck
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BonzaiDuck »

Perhaps I could post this in the thread about our April 11 Creators Update crisis, or start another.

When I use L1 on an L2-cached HDD, I had more frequent errors resolvable with CHKDSK. When I got rid of L1, those nuisance errors disappeared.

Nothing like that for the last few weeks, but when it occurred, it borked my daily Macrium Reflect backup.

Maybe I should check how my drives are configured in their Windows Properties dialog.

Otherwise, Primo is too good to give up. I'll do everything I can to assist in suggestions for revision or bug-correction.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

@BonzaiDuck, I think we shall start a new thread for the problem you reported.
We need to do further study about your computer and caching configuration. However, as the 3.0 version is coming, which may help this problem, I think we may start to discuss it at that time.