Lag accessing created folders on ramdisk

Report bugs or suggestions around Primo Ramdisk
arfgh
Level 7
Level 7

Lag accessing created folders on ramdisk

Post by arfgh »

I have reported before this problem.

I dont know the reason, but creating a new folder, or extracting zip files, or dragging files into the created folder, causes a big lag accessing that folder.

Even trying to browse into the folder causes a very high lag, over 8 seconds to get into.

System Enviroment:

Windows XP x64 SP2
24 GB Ram
Primo Ramdisk Server 5.6.0
Ramdisk Z: 23020 MB, with OS temp folder on it.

Please help to fix that annoying issiu.

thx in advance

Edit: i have forgotten to say, the lag only happends the first time that we try to access the created folder.
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Re: Lag accessing created folders on ramdisk

Post by InquiringMind »

How is your ramdisk set up? (e.g. what type of image file if any, DirectIO or SCSI, any NTFS options, etc). Also if you are using Dynamic Memory Management, it might be worth experimenting with disabling it.
arfgh
Level 7
Level 7

Post by arfgh »

It is Direct-IO no image, just for temp usages, with Dynamic memory management and compact mode on, to use space when it is required. Of course the space it is no fred once we delete files :(((

The lag that i am pointing, is near the same that happends on the xp, when we want to use 'properties' over a desktop shortcut without its file pointing. In that case, exist a lag that happends until the properties window appears.

thx in advance

PD it is a very annoying problem.

PD2: also i want to say that sometimes when i reinitialize the ramdisk in order to free the used space, when i want to use again the ramdisk it happends a very big lag and also the cpu begins to work very hard. If the ramdisk accesing it is for example parallel downloads, the lag will be there for a big time and the computer seems SOOO busy. Of course these downloads down its speed to the minimun. This other bug thati detected seems something like.. if Primo Ramdisk it is formating the ramdisk on the background, but so slow, and for that reason the ramdisk space it is out of use. Of course this last it is my feeling.

Please help
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

Try disabling DMM and compact mode to see if those change the lag issue.
arfgh
Level 7
Level 7

Post by arfgh »

i dont know if is that the feature that cause this lag. But i need that feature because i use a big ramdisk that i dont want to get all the ram i have.
So please, warn me when exist a solution.