RamDisk causing CRC Errors

Report bugs or suggestions around Primo Ramdisk
jonnied1
Level 2
Level 2

RamDisk causing CRC Errors

Post by jonnied1 »

I found using the RamDisk was causing CRC Errors on the drive where my Image file was located.
I had some "Hard Links and Junction Points" directed the RamDisk for some of my installed programs, all working correctly, set temp files to the RamDisk, and Internet Explorer temporary files directed to the RamDisk.
RamDisk settings below:
(Size 4096MB)
(SCSI),
(Dynamic Memory Management),
(NFTS Format),
(Cluster size "Default")
(NFTS Compression),
(Indexing Disabled),
(Set permissions for "Everyone"), -all selections checked,
(Delay Load mode),
(Load and Save),
(Enable associated image file, located on my second drive "Intel 530 SSD)",
(Plain Image),
(Save at Computer Shutdown),
I had "Hard Links" set up from some of my installed programs, temp files, and Internet Explorer directed to the Ram Drive.
My Computer has 20MB memory and two "Intel 530 240 GB" drives. Drive "C" is the operating system drive, Drive "E" is my data storage drive.
I Deleted all Hard links, deleted the RamDisk and associated file. CRC Errors stopped.
Any solution would be appreciated. I would like to use this RamDisk setup.
Thanks.
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Re: RamDisk causing CRC Errors

Post by InquiringMind »

Wild guess - the combination of Delayed Load and hardlinks may be the issue (maybe due to hardlinks needing to be accessed/parsed before the ramdisk is ready?). Try disabling delayed load.

Just to clarify, were the CRC errors on the ramdisk or on the disk containing the image file?
jonnied1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jonnied1 »

On the disk containing the image file.
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

Might be worth checking that disk for problems, just to guard against the possibility of the image file being placed on a bad sector or cluster (S.M.A.R.T. reporting software like Crystal DiskInfo can provide another type of health check). Then set up a new ramdisk with the same setup as previously (but leave it empty) and try running disk benchmarking software like Crystal Diskmark to fill it with data, to see if that triggers CRCs. Then gradually relocate data across to see if/when CRCs occur.

As an aside, you may be better served with 2 ramdisks - one with no image file for temporary data (and IE temp files) and the other with an image file for data you wish to preserve across reboots. Aside from providing better privacy, it should reduce the size of the image file needed giving better load/save times.
jonnied1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jonnied1 »

I ran a full disk check with the Intel SSD toolbox when I first noticed the CRC errors reported in the SSD toolbox. No problems with the drive were reported. I have not hade anymore CRC errors since I deleted the RamDisk and associated file. I may try setting another one up again without using "Delay Load" but I recall getting errors in Windows Error Administrator Events when not using delayed mode. I'll do more research and may try again. I prefer to have a flawless setup.
Thanks for the suggestions.