Ramdisk for SQL Server indexex Topic is solved

FAQ, getting help, user experience about Primo Ramdisk
FredH
Level 1
Level 1

Ramdisk for SQL Server indexex

Post by FredH »

I'm testing this on my PC before I move it to my client's server. The TempDb file is on a ramdisk, and is working perfectly -- but it's recreated each time the system is rebooted. The indexes are more complex as they must be saved through reboots; also, the ramdisk must increase in size when the index file grows. I tried it first with a File-Disk, it was saved through reboots but it couldn't grow when needed. Then I tried it with a Hybrid-disk, it wasn't saved through reboots. Neither of the disk types allowed me to manually or periodically save the file in the ramdisk as the Image Settings button is greyed out. I tried to attach a vdd file for the Hybrid-disk, but your forum wouldn't allow me to attach it. Can you point me to an approach that will work for me? TIA, Fred.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Ramdisk for SQL Server indexex

Post by Jaga »

I have my 20GB RAMdisk setup similarly to what you're trying to accomplish. It is a RAMDISK, NTFS, dynamically resizes itself in memory, and is loaded from an image file at boot and saved to that image file at shutdown/reboot. I'll simply screenshot the entire config window set so you can see how I did it.

FredH
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FredH »

Thank you, Jaga. It worked perfectly!
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

Glad to hear it Fred. Welcome!